Yoda (born 896 BBY on his homeworld; dies 4 ABY on Dagobah) is a major character in the Star Wars series. He is portrayed and voiced by Muppet performer Frank Oz.
Why Rocks He Does
- He is a great Jedi teacher and mentor. He's also a great example of how one shouldn't judge someone solely based on their appearance. Yoda for example is a strong and powerful Jedi knight even though he looks relatively harmless.
- Muppet performer Frank Oz, who was well-liked for his work on the Muppets, did an incredible job working on Yoda's voice.
- His most memorable quote: "Do. Or do not. There is no try."
- He is about as optimistic as Jedi go.
- His design looks cool and pretty realistic.
- He is a funny character, especially in his debut, The Empire Strikes Back, in which he puts up a goofy facade to test Luke's patience, before reverting back to his wise, stoic self.
- He has enough unique traits to avoid making him a cheap version of Obi-Wan.
- He has a funny accent and speech pattern.
Bad, This Quality Is
- His puppet design in the original release of The Phantom Menace looks weird and ridiculous (this changed in the 2011 Blu-ray, in which he was replaced with a CGI version).
- Yoda’s first name was never mentioned because George Lucas wanted to leave him with just one name to enhance the mystery that surrounds him. There are theories that his first name is Minch, however, Minch is another Jedi who is the same species as Yoda.
- Yoda was born in 896 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin) on his homeworld and died in 4 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin) on Dagobah. This made Yoda 900 years old.
- Yoda’s species were never explained, or given a name. The most famous members of Yoda’s species are Baby Yoda, Minch, Oteg, Vandar Tokare, Yaddle and of course Yoda himself.
- Yoda was voiced by Frank Oz in the Star Wars films, who also does the voice of the Cookie Monster and Miss Piggy from the Muppets.
- Yoda’s last words were “Luke. There is another Skywalker.” – To Luke Skywalker.
- Pages using Tabber parser tag
- Star Wars characters
- Lucasfilm characters
- Badass characters
- 1980s characters
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- Disney characters
- Movie characters
- Complex characters
- Intelligent characters
- Optimistic characters
- Friendly characters
- Hilarious characters
- 2010s characters
- Funny characters
- Sequel characters
- Deceased characters
- Characters with air powers
- Characters with Mind-Control Powers
- Characters with water powers