Winnie the Pooh is a yellow teddy bear who loves eating honey based on the books by A. A. Milne. He first appears in the Disney featurette Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree.
Why He Really Deserves Honey
- He may sometimes be a bear of very little brain, but he is a good friend to all those who live with him in the Hundred Acre Wood, including Tigger, Piglet and especially, the cute and wonderful Christopher Robin, as well as Darby and Buster.
- His design is cute and in a way faithful to E. H. Shepard's illustrations.
- In fact, many people associate Pooh with the Disney incarnation more than any other version.
- In the Christopher Robin (2018) movie, Pooh is also noticeably fluffy which makes you want to cuddle him.
- He is simple-minded but charming.
- His sweet iconic voice, originally provided by the late Sterling Holloway.
- Even Jim Cummings, his current voice actor, pulled it off perfectly. He often calls sick children in hospitals using his Pooh voice, which is very sweet of him and also still captures the sweetness that this character gives.
- Hal Smith while not as recognized as them, was just as good.
- He’s the Star of the franchise, as he’s likable in all of the movies, all of the TV specials, all of the TV shows (including the ones from Disney Junior), the crossover with Doc McStuffins, all of the video games he’s appeared in (including Kingdom Hearts), and of course, Christopher Robin.
The Only Bad Qualities
- He had a derailment in some of the official licensed comics, changing his personality from a cute happy little bear to a selfish jerk. Luckily this was a minor mistake.
- Starting on January 2022, his original book incarnation has unfortunately just entered the public domain, and if we don't do anything, other companies like Universal, Paramount and Warner Bros could clone the Disney version to make terrible versions of him.
- In the original books, Pooh only wears his signature red shirt during the winter.
- He has often been compared to Chinese president Xi Jinping, causing the character to be banned on the Chinese Internet.
- In February 2023 there will be a Winnie the Pooh horror movie titled Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey.
- He spawned a cameo in DreamWorks Animation's Bee Movie, alongside his good friend Piglet.
- The Winnie the Pooh franchise is currently Disney's second highest grossing franchise of all time, and is the fourth highest grossing media franchise of all time.
- Initally, it was Disney's highest grossing franchise of all time and was the third highest grossing franchise of all time, but as of November 2021, Mickey Mouse has gained its throne.
- From 1966 to 2021, Disney held the exclusive rights to A. A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh books, but after the exclusivity expired, the books entered the public domain, so now anyone can make adaptations of Winnie-the-Pooh, but Disney still owns the rights to their version of Winnie the Pooh, similar to how they own the rights to their own animated film adaptations of fairy tales and real-world events like Pocahontas and Anastasia (the later being acquired by Disney when they bought 20th Century Fox).
- In 1999, Cosgrove Hall Films wanted to collaborate with Disney to produce a stop-motion Winnie the Pooh series, but Disney felt that they weren't really interested in collaborating with Cosgrove Hall.
- He is one of the most iconic cartoon characters ever created apart from characters such as Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, SpongeBob SquarePants, Super Mario, Bob the Builder, Pikachu, Hello Kitty, Charlie Brown and Snoopy, Homer Simpson, Sonic the Hedgehog, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Tom and Jerry. He is also possibly one of the most famous fictional characters out there.
- 1920s characters
- 1960s characters
- 1970s characters
- 1980s characters
- 1990s characters
- 2010s characters
- Disney characters
- Hollywood Walk of Fame characters
- Cartoon characters
- Friendly characters
- Optimistic characters
- Video game characters
- American characters
- TV characters
- Kingdom Hearts characters
- Disney Channel characters
- Winnie the Pooh characters
- Movie characters
- Disney Junior Characters
- Important characters
- Likable characters
- Characters with good edge
- Cute characters
- Internet memes