An underdog is a person who has very little chance of winning obstacles on their journey. There are certain characters who are considered underdogs. These characters may be unlucky from the start, yet they overcome with immense willpower and determination.
Examples of Underdogs
- Asta (Black Clover): He was the only person in the Clover Kingdom who was born without mana and therefore is unable to use magic. However, his strong sense of willpower and hard work make him one of the most well-recognized Magic Knights.
- Son Goku: Goku was born with an extremely low power level, but through constant effort and training, he managed to become one of the strongest, well known Saiyans in history.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris): He was bullied by other students for his nerdy personality and his status as the only black kid at a predominantly white school.
- Max Keeble (Max Keeble's Big Move): On his first day of middle school, Max was the first victim to be picked on by the bullies, tyrannical principal and mean teacher. When his actions have a negative impact on the school, he steps up to save the day.
- Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia): Also known as "Deku", he was born without a quirk, but through hard work and help from All Might, he managed to inherit One for All and become a powerful hero in training.
- Saitama (One Punch Man): Due to his general attitude and lack of notoriety, Saitama is often considered a fraud by other heroes. Despite this, his power is so immense that even he can even defeat most S-Class heroes with little to no effort.
- Naruto: He was bullied and picked on for him having Kuruma sealed inside him. Despite this, he managed to train hard enough to become one of the strongest anime characters of all time.
- Jaden Yuki (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX): Due to his poor grades in his entrance exam, he attended Duel Academy and was put in the Slifer Red Dorm, the dorm with the least privileges. Despite not being good at school, he still manages to make up for it with his wisdom in dueling, and his wisdom in common knowledge that allows him to understand his opponents to beat them as well as help them.
The Overall Reason Why This Trope is Diligent
The underdog represents that we do not always win and have to overcome obstacles in life through diligence and determination.
The Only Bad Quality
Some underdog stories are difficult to get behind due to said underdog being lazy, whiny, and sometimes, hard to root for.