""DO NOT TOUCH THAT MUSHROOM YOU'LL DIIIE!!" "Oh I'm sorry, hehe, that one's perfectly fine." "Come on, Mario!""— Toad in The Super Mario Bros. Movie trailer.
Toad is a character from the Super Mario series who is Princess Peach's attendant and a longtime protector of the Mushroom Kingdom. He has a partner named Toadette and is the protagonist of Wario's Woods.
Why He's The Best
- He is as cute as (if not cuter than) Yoshi, especially in The Super Mario Bros. Movie.
- He is one of the fastest Mario characters, as seen in the games.
- Like most Mario characters, he's pretty cheerful and excitable, which highlights his charming personality and it's one of the reasons for him being so beloved.
- He is a very nice guy, as he will often help out Mario and anyone else during their adventures.
- His good chemistry with Toadette, especially in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
- He got the starring role in Wario's Woods (alongside Wario), and the aforementioned Captain Toad.
- While his voice actors do a decent job voicing him, Isaac Marshall just knocks it out of the darn park.
- His TV counterpart redeems himself in The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, where he's much more likable and faithful to his video game counterpart, his voice has improved and he even allowed his friends to live in his house, which was very nice of him.
- His TV counterpart in The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! was a bit more unlikable than usual. Thankfully, he did redeem himself in The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3., as mentioned in WHR#8.
- He can be just as cowardly and clumsy as Luigi is.
- He can sometimes be annoying, even outside the DIC cartoons:
- His voice (especially when he was voiced by Jen Taylor and Samantha Kelly) can be annoying sometimes, depending on your view.
- While his TV counterpart redeemed himself, he still has a few annoying moments, like complaining about always being left behind in the adventures. Thankfully, though, it’s not too many unlike the first Super Mario show.
- He does not make an appearance in the Super Mario World cartoon once, being practically replaced by Yoshi.
- Toad's emblem in various games is a mushroom. However, since Mario Party 7, this has often been substituted for his own head.
- Toad appears as a property in Nintendo Monopoly. He takes the place of Kentucky Avenue/Strand and costs $220.
- Toad is also a playable character in Monopoly Gamer. He is sold separately as a "Power Pack" expansion figure.
- According to a 1993 Nintendo character guide, Toad has the nickname of Little Toadie and was off visiting relatives of the "Fungus Federation" prior to the events of Super Mario Bros.; thus, only to find Princess Toadstool (later known as Princess Peach) missing and the rest of his friends missing once he returned.
- Toad was a requested character for inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Melee., and is still one of the most of the requested characters in the Super Smash Bros. series to this day.
- Starting with Super Mario Sunshine, he and Princess Peach are often voiced by the same actress Samantha Kelly (except in the Mario Strikers games).