Ben Grimm or The Thing is one of the main protagonists of the Tim Story Fantastic Four film series.
Why He Goes Clobbering
- He is the most likeable member of the Fantastic Four.
- Michael Chiklis does a fantastic job portraying as the Thing on both Storyverse films despite them being average. It helps that he is a big fan of the character and the comics and got an approval of Stan Lee.
- The makeup/design looks impressive and life-like, and looks very accurate to the comics. Heck it still holds up to this day.
- His storyline is quite tear-jerking and relatable, as his fiancée broke up with him after she saw his mutated form.
- He has great chemistry with the rest of the characters, especially Johnny Storm.
- He says his catchphrases "It's clobbering time" and "Sweet Aunt Petunia" like in the comics.
- Heck, the way he got his most iconic catchphrase, "It's clobberin’ timeǃ" is believable, as he got it from a prototype action figure.
- He retains the gruff voice as in the comics in his rocky form.
- A great amount of his quotes are memorable such as "If there is a God, he hates me" and "I'll show you a rockslide!"
- His roar towards a bear is great to listen to.
- He has plenty of funny moments.
- Unlike the comics, he is much more intelligent and figured out where the Silver Surfer is headed.
- He has less screentime in the second film. He had a little more screentime from deleted scenes.
- He doesn't have the same size as in the comics.
- Unlike the comics, he doesn’t seem to be religious. He even said God’s name in vain and at one time said “If there is a God, He hates me.”
- Chiklis insisted on wearing make-up instead of phoning in his performance via motion capture and voice over.
- Stan Lee considered Chiklis' performance as his favorite Marvel character portrayal.
- Before Chiklis was cast, Bruce Willis was considered for the role.
- Chiklis returned to voice the Thing in the 2005 Fantastic Four video game and an episode of Robot Chicken.