Steven Quincy Urkel is a fictional character on the ABC/CBS sitcom Family MattersBTVSW who was portrayed by Jaleel White. Originally slated to have been a one-time-only character on the show, he soon broke out to be its most popular character and gradually became its main protagonist.
Due to the Urkel character's off-putting characteristics and the way he is written to stir up events and underscore the plot or even move it along, he is considered a nuisance by the original protagonist's family, the Winslows, though they come to accept him over time.
Why He Rocks
- He is a silly, extravagant, over-the-top, smug and geeky character. Even though he can be depicted as "obnoxious and annoying", he's still lovable and entertaining nonetheless.
- Steve and Laura both have amazing chemistry.
- He always had catchphrases uttered after some humorous misfortune occurs, including.
- "I don't have to take this. I'm going home."
- "Whoa, Mama!"
- "Look what you did!"
- "Did I do that?"
- In the season two episode "Life of the Party", he did a funny dance called "The Urkel Dance".
- Jaleel White does a good job portraying Steve, giving Steve plenty of life for a "nerd".
- While indeed comedic, he eventually took over the show as its main protagonist, thus making him a creator's pet in a way. Especially given that he was originally supposed to be a one-time character.
- Some people can find Steve's voice irritating, depending on their personal perspective.
- He references the famous catchphrase of the LifeAlert commercial from the late 1980s and early 1990s, that is "I've fallen and I can't get up!".