NOTE: Squirtle will not be referred to with words like "he" or "she" because "it" can randomly be male or female.
Squirtle is a character from the Pokémon series. It is a Water-Type starter, first appearing in Pokemon: Red and Blue, and a lot of games after that. It is one of the Pokémon from the Pokémon Trainer in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Ultimate, and is one of Ash’s Pokémon in the anime.
Why People Think It Rocks
- Out of all of the Pokémon starters, Squirtle is one of the most famous of them all, and just like many other Nintendo characters, Squirtle is an iconic fan favorite amongst fans of Pokémon and/or Nintendo as a whole. Most notably how cute it looks, and how amazing it is when he uses its iconic Water Gun and Hydro Pump attacks.
- Out of all the Nintendo characters, Squirtle is one of the cutest characters of them all.
- It is always one of the best parts in the Pokémon anime series, and there are very funny moments with it such as its Squirtle Squad shades for instance.
- The Squirtle Squad are a group of firefighting Squirtles with a tough past, and use their water powers to put out fires and save people.
- Its designs is so good to look at, especially in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where it has its cuteness and charm in its design like it always has.
- Speaking of designs, Squirtle’s alter-egos, shade Squirtle and Team Go-Getters Squirtle are some of the most interesting alter-egos you can see.
- It’s voice actors, especially Eric Stuart and Michele Knotz, did a great job voicing it over the years.
- Squirtle is the main star of the special, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-Getters Out of the Gate!, where it’s voiced by Kayzie Rogers. This is an interesting Squirtle, as it was formerly a human boy, but grew into a great strong leader for his Team of fellow Pokémon, and rescued Pikachu from Skarmory.
- In the twelfth episode of the anime series, it puts behind his stubbornness on Ash and rescued him from being attacked by Team Rocket, and helped him rescue Pikachu by defeating Team Rocket.
- Like many of Ash’s Pokémon, it has a great friendship and bond with Ash, and it’s always there whenever Ash needs it.
- Ash's Squirtle has helped him many times (aside from what is said about Reason #9), it also helped Ash and Pikachu escape the sinking St. Anne with his strong swimming ability and pulled them out of the ship and above water surface to safety.
- It has spawned a lot of material such as memes, toys, and clothes.
- It was paired with Ivysaur and Charizard to make the Pokémon Trainer in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, where it was a playable fighter.
- Alongside Ivysaur and the Pokémon Trainer, it made a comeback in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
The Only Bad Quality
- Though it was a representative in Smash Brawl, it, along with Ivysaur and the Pokémon Trainer, did not return in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U and was replaced with Charizard alone, due to technical difficulties with the 3DS.
- Niue released a one-dollar coin featuring Squirtle as part of a commemorative promotion for the Pokémon franchise, with Squirtle on one side and the nation's coat of arms on the other.
- As a species, Squirtle has been trained the most frequently out of all the Kanto starter Pokémon by major anime Trainers, with Ash, May, Gary, and Tierno each owning one. Out of all of those Squirtles however, only Ash’s didn’t evolve, with May’s becoming a Wartortle, and Gary and Tierno’s becoming Blastoises.