This article is about the Sonic character. For the Angry Birds character, see Silver (Angry Birds).
"This world was devastated before I was born. A harsh, bleak place, where we live in eternal darkness. Life is a struggle, and people live without hope. How did this happen? No one will answer me directly, but they always point... to the flames. These flames. they burn away my world destroying everything in their path. They come from an eternal life form that we cannot truly defeat. The Flames of Disaster, known as "Iblis"."— Silver, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Silver the Hedgehog (シルバー・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Shirubā za Hejjihoggu?) is a re-occurring character in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. He is a white, anthropomorphic hedgehog hailing from two hundred years into the future where his role is to protect his timeline by changing the catastrophes of the past, thus preventing the ruining of his era. He first debuted in the video game Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
Why He's Not To Be Trifled With
- He is a brave and optimistic hero who's willing to do whatever it takes to save his future from the ruins it was left in.
- He's selfless, good-hearted, cares a lot for his friends and has a strong sense of justice.
- His story in Sonic '06 is amazing: He was tricked by Mephiles the Dark into thinking Sonic was the Iblis Trigger and needed to be killed in order to save the future (with his infamous boss fight spawning the "It's No Use" meme, which has become synonymous with Silver himself), but during his second attempt to do so, he gets interrupted by Shadow the Hedgehog only to discover they both can use Chaos Control. Shadow then decides to help him discover the truth about the Mephiles-Iblis duo and the fact that he tricked him the whole time to carry out his plan to destroy the past, to which the white hedgehog agrees. After returning to to the present and reuniting with Blaze, he makes his efforts to set things right, become allies with Sonic and helps him, along with his friends (Plus Princess Elise) to defeat Solaris.
- He has a very good chemistry with his best friend, Blaze the Cat. He also shows some good friendship with Yoshi in the Mario & Sonic series, like when they highfive in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and how he was protective of him in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics game.
- He is extremely likable. Not only a cool and appealing design, but he is also a naive and pretty dorky character with a charming soft dork-ish voice.
- His Psychokinesis powers are very cool and nice to see it in action.
- Pete Capella and Quinton Flynn are awe-inspiring voices for him.
- He returned in future Sonic games to help them stop otherworldly threats like in Sonic Generations and Forces.
- Like many other Sonic characters, he has a banger of a theme song in the form of Dreams of an Absolution.
- He has a lovable idolatry for his "Guardian Angel", Whisper.
Qualities That Are Of No Use
- Like mentioned before, he is naive and lacks the ability to think critically, Similar to Knuckles (this can also cause him to be easily tricked). He is also known to be somewhat immature.
- He was flanderized in his Pre-Super Genesis Wave version of himself and is extremely unlikable. Probably his character at his worst.
- Depending on your view, while not entirely unlikable, he was also somewhat out-of-character in Sonic Rivals 1 & 2 where he acts more bossy and hostile towards each character he meets during his pursuit of Eggman Nega and he also seems to have a habit of judging each character too. While Silver is usually rash in Sonic '06, at least he was never this hostile. (Then again, he still is heroic and risks his life to improve the future.)
- Although not a bad voice actor himself, Bryce Papenbrook's current role as Silver doesn't really fit the character and the voice sounds way too young for him.
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- Characters by portrayal
- Underrated characters
- Sonic the Hedgehog characters
- Crossover characters
- Cartoon characters
- TV characters
- SEGA characters
- Fan favorites
- Optimistic characters
- Internet memes
- Characters that are often misjudged