Shovel Knight is the main and titular character of the indie game Shovel Knight. Usually clad in light blue armor, he is a chivalrous knight trying to stop the Enchantress from taking over the Valley and find his beloved Shield Knight, who had been previously lost to the Tower of Fate.
Little is known about Shovel Knight except that he and his partner Shield Knight traveled across the world together collecting treasure. Then, during an expedition in the Tower of Fate, a cursed amulet took control of Shield Knight and disappeared with her.
Despondent over his partners disappearance, Shovel Knight gave up adventuring, until he heard of the Enchantress and her "Order of No Quarter". Knowing that she unsealed the Tower of Fate, Shovel Knight took it to himself to go to the tower, and find his partner.
Why He Rocks
- Shovel Knight is an icon for indie-games, appearing in multiple games outside of his own like Super Smash Bros., Rival of Aethers, Yooka Laylee, and God of War.
- Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight aids people he meets along his journey, hero or villain.
- His ingenuity and quick thinking have won him many battles.
- His design is simple yet unique: a blue piece of armor with shoulder pads, a plate, and a horned helmet.
- He solves many physically and mentally challenging puzzles throughout the lairs of The Order of No Quarter, proving his great intelligence and strength.
- He doesn't need to breathe or can hold his breath for an absurdly long time, demonstrated primarily in the Iron Whale level. This could, however, simply be a throwback to retro characters who often didn't have to breathe when in water.
- He is a shining example of the Code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!
- He was even able to hold his own against the Battletoads and Kratos.