Shoto Todoroki (in Japanese: 轟焦凍, Todoroki Shōto) is the tritagonist of the My Hero Academia anime/manga franchise. He is also Midoriya's second-best friend and friendly rival. He is the youngest son of Endeavor and the younger brother of both Fuyumi and Natsuo Todoroki as well his eldest brother, Toya Todoroki (who was later revealed to be the villain, Dabi).
Why He Rocks
- Much like Zuko, His backstory is very tragic, to the point of making audiences cry.
- His father Endeavor possessed a pyrokinesis Quirk and married a woman with a cryokinesis Quirk solely to create and raise the perfect hero to surpass All Might, which, of course, was Shoto. He was subject to a brutal training regimen, despite his and his mother's protests. But the only difference is his mother had a mental breakdown and admitted to her mother that she doesn't want to raise the family anymore, especially Shoto, since his left side reminded her too much of Endeavor. Shoto overheard this and asked his mother what was wrong, and she responded by pouring scalding hot water on the upper-left quarter of his face, resulting in a burn. This resulted in her being admitted to a mental hospital and him hating his father for ruining his and his mother's lives.
- His design looks handsome and well-drawn.
- He is very powerful, respected by his classmates and even enemies.
- He is very smart, having been accepted into U.A. through recommendations, placing fifth in exam scores, and figuring out a villain's modus operandi.
- He has been described as the most handsome male student in Class 1-A by Mina.
- His power, intelligence, and being the son of the Number 2 Pro Hero Endeavor gain him a lot of respect among the franchise's characters.
- His character development is very touching. Initially, he never uses his pyrokinesis out of hatred for his father for ruining his and his mother's life, but later uses it when needed, along with his cryokinesis. He was initially distrusting of Izuku Midoriya, being close to All Might, but later opens up to him after their match in the Sports Festival.
- All his voice actors did phenomenal jobs portraying him and fit his reserved, softspoken personality, especially Yūki Kaji and David Matranga. As always, Kaji's screaming was incredible.
- If one pays close attention, his dialogue is very motivational, not just to characters, but also to viewers. See his photo caption for an example.
- Despite his intelligence, he can be very dense when it comes to understanding figure of speech, or reading people's emotions, like in his mock interview with Mt. Lady when she said "If a handsome boy came to her rescue, her heart would be racing" he thought she had heart problems.
- He was kind of rude, aloof, and arrogant in the past, where Inasa Yoarashi tried to befriend him, he ignored him and told Inasa that he's in his way, which makes him hold a grudge against Shoto for brushing him off in the same way his father, Endeavor, had done to Inasa in the past.
- His design, while handsome, can nearly resemble him as a "Zuko's clone" by fans.