"Don't let your kids watch it!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Mature topics.
Shao Kahn is one of the two main antagonists (alongside Shinnok) of the Mortal Kombat fighting game franchise. He is one of Raiden's archenemies as the two have fought for many millennia over the fate of Earthrealm. He was portrayed by Bob Carter, Ike Amadi and Steve Ritchie.
Why He Rules Outworld
- In the first three games, he serves as the announcer and gets confused upon seeing a Friendship instead of a Fatality.
- Steve Ritchie, Frank Welker and especially Bob Carter did a good job voicing Shao Kahn.
- Shao Kahn started off as the end boss of Mortal Kombat II and became a playable character in future games.
- Unlike other playable characters, he can taunt at enemies so he can be more powerful.
- Shao Kahn had memorable lines including “Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn!”, “You weak, pathetic fools! I’ve come for your souls!”, "Prepare to die" and “It’s official, you suck!”
- He had an excellent design and stunning armor with a giant hammer.
- In the 2011 Mortal Kombat reboot, which retells the continuity of the first three games, Shao Kahn is once again the main villain and final boss of the game's arcade ladder and story mode.
- He improved himself in Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, where it lets him and Sindel wreck havoc on the heroes, coming in as a brutal force of nature that utterly destroys almost everyone he comes across. He does this as he's clearly enjoying himself not only brutalizing his enemies, but doing so with his eager wife by his side.
- In his campaign, he kills Geras, defeats Sonya, Cassie and Johnny, while also defeating Liu Kang/Kitana on his own, retaking Outworld, decapitating Kotal Kahn offscreen and storming Kronika's fortress.
- Sure, his ego gets so big that it clouds him to Shang Tsung's expected treachery, but fans of Kahn love the moments that led up to that.
- Also seeing Shao Kahn and Sindel get massively outplayed by Shang Tsung, getting their souls stolen and reduced to dried out husks was satisfying as hell after all of the terrible things that they've done in the Aftermath expansion.
- He was a generic villain in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.
- His taunts can be repetitive, especially on higher difficulties.
- Ike Amadi’s voice for Shao Kahn sounded a little too similar to his Atrocitus voice.
- He is easily the hardest and most difficult boss in the MK franchise, especially in Mortal Kombat II and 3.
- He was reduced to a joke in Mortal Kombat 11, easily beaten and blinded by Kitana, a rather humiliating end for one of the franchise's biggest bad guys. Thankfully, this was fixed in the Aftermath expansion.
- His taunts became internet memes.
- “Feel the power of Shao Kahn” was recycled for Noob Saibot doing the toasty fatality in MK2 but with “Shao Kahn” replaced with Dan Forden’s “Toasty”.
- He serves as a preorder bonus for Mortal Kombat 11.
- Shao Kahn is one of two original final bosses in the series that appear as playable characters in MK11. The other is Shang Tsung.
- Shao Kahn is one of two Kahns who are playable in MK11, the other is Kotal Kahn, the former Emperor of Outworld in the Current Timeline.