Scrat is a mute Saber-Toothed Squirrel from the Ice Age series and the mascot of Blue Sky Studios (The studio behind the Ice Age films), he is voiced by Chris Wedge.
Why He Deserves a Nut
- His purpose to the Ice Age films is to try to receive his acorn but he keeps failing to get it in numerous ways which contributes to the films' funniest moments.
- He is also a very good martial artist whenever he gets angry, especially in Ice Age: The Meltdown.
- His design is very cute.
- Most of the sounds he makes are adorable, along with his love for nuts.
- He has received several of his own short films such as No Time for Nuts, which has been nominated for an Academy Award.
- He has became the mascot of Blue Sky Studios and appears on the new logo for the company.
- He even made appearances on FOX animated shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy.
- While he might’ve not played a major role on the franchise unlike Manny, Diego, or even Sid did, he is still very popular among a lot of fans.
- His speechlessness just goes to show that a mute character can have personality.
- His signature scream is very iconic.
- He is visibly inspired by the Looney Tunes (more specifically Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner) and Tom & Jerry. He doesn't really connect with Manny, Sid and Diego's storyline because he serves more as break from the main plot for laughs with his Looney Tunes-style slapstick humor, while the other characters in the main plot are meant to be more realistic. Even though he does not speak, his sounds and screams, along with his Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner-like antics makes up for hilarious comic relief that does not take away the serious side of the movie, just like the Minions with their Rabbids-like antics in the Despicable Me franchise.
- He is the main playable character in several Ice Age video games.
- Similar to other amazing and truly awesome comic reliefs, such as the Genie from Aladdin, Timon and Pumbaa from The Lion King, Rallo Tubbs from The Cleveland Show, Mushu from Mulan, Patrick Star from SpongeBob SquarePants, Dory from Finding Nemo, Mater from Cars, Donkey from Shrek, Bartok from Anastasia, and Roger Smith from American Dad, Scrat is one of the most memorable comic reliefs in all of Animation and movie in general as Scrat has not only made a ton of internet memes, but he steals the spotlight whenever he appears.
- Like Buck, he is receiving his own spinoff series, Ice Age: Scrat Tales, exclusive to Disney+. In fact, the series, Scrat Tales, worked since not only it fixed the problems of Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild such as the confused back and forth focus on Buck Wild and Crash and Eddie, but that series shows his bit of character development by taking care of Baby Scrat. It also made up for his absence from The Adventures of Buck Wild.
- He is cleverly voiced by Chris Wedge, one of the founders of Blue Sky Studios back in 1987.
- He is an awesome father to Baby Scrat and a great husband for Scratte,... when the acorn is not around.
- Just like with Manny, Diego, Sid, and Crash and Eddie, his character was Flanderized on the fourth and fifth installments where he became much more destructive and dumber than he was before which causes harm and near-death experiences for the films' protagonists which makes him feel more like a villain rather than a hero.
- To be fair, in the fourth installment, he still come across as funny since he didn't have any intention on eliminating any mankind at all, but his Flanderization in the fifth installment had worsened, since he comes across as the equivalent of God and literally destroys the population in Mars
- He can be unlikable at times, for example when Sid resuscitated him and rather than thanking him, Scrat savagely attacks him because he wanted to die to go to Acorn Heaven. Another example is when he ditch Scratte for the acorn (although that was kinda justified, as her bossy ways tired him), and he becomes a terrible father for Baby Scrat when the acorn is near (though he is an awesome dad when the acorn is not around).
- He doesn't seem to have a purpose at all, because he always wants an acorn for himself but never eats it. He seems to have an acorn just for the sake of having it.
- However, he finally ate his acorn in the video "The End", presumably due to him being hungry after searching for his acorn for years .
- His screams and other expressions can come off as annoying to some.
- Chris Wedge reprised his role in various Ice Age video games.
- Cartoon characters
- CGI characters
- Movie characters
- 20th Century Fox characters
- Disney characters
- American characters
- Cute characters
- Hilarious characters
- Internet memes
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- Beware the nice ones
- Characters that have traveled through time
- Lonely characters
- Martial artists
- Neurotic characters
- Silent characters
- Fan favorites
- Comic relief
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade characters
- Characters that are incompetent
- Accident-prone characters
- Unlucky characters
- Blue Sky Studios characters
- Ice Age characters
- Important characters