Ryuga Banjo (万丈 龍我, Banjō Ryūga) is a 23-year-old ex-fighter who was wrongly imprisoned for the murder of Takumi Katsuragi. Later escaping from Faust and prison, he meets Sento Kiryu and joins him by Team Build as Kamen Rider Cross-Z (仮面ライダークローズ, Kamen Raidā Kurōzu) to uncover the mysteries regarding their pasts.
Why He Rocks
- Initially acting more like an antagonistic rival towards Sento, later on he is seen forging a friendship and admiration towards him,
- Not to mention his contrasting personality to Sento, being the idiotic straight man who would rather use his brawns than his intelligence to Sento's mad scientist like personality, even providing some really great dialogue within it.
- He not necessarily a terrible person from the start, as he would rather face his problems directly, without the involvement of other people due to probably the negative outcome it will bring.
- He is the one of the most developed characters within Build, if not the most developed one, with the biggest contribution being his backstory, and providing some of the finest dialogue, action scenes and concluding Ryuga's character growth journey, with a nice remark.
- He prefers not to overthink things, instead he would use his common sense, as proven in Ep 3, he was able to create a best match with ease, unlike Sento who overthinked and analyzed it, thus somewhat complicating it.
- He lost his fiancee in the beginning of the show, not only was it slightly heartbreaking, it also showed that Ryuga is not all that impulsive towards other people, showing his more kind-hearted nature, and within those moments, you with slightly feel pity towards Ryuga.
- He has some of the best suits in the entire show, with notable examples being Cross-Z Dragon/Great Cross-Z Dragon, Cross-Z Magma and Cross-Z Evol, are very well-crafted as well as having some beautiful coloration within the suits.
- He has the most memorable quotes within the Build, such as
- "What do you think about my sixth sense"
- "I am the King of Protein, Banjou Ryuga"
- "My Power is overflowing, my soul is burning, my magma is surging".
- Not everything about his suit designs are perfect, as his upgrade form, Cross-Z Charge, while is not necessarily terrible, is mediocre at best,
- In the topic of Cross-Z Charge, it is also Cross-Z's least memorable form.
- Despite having a good character, some of his arcs throughout the show were poorly written, Notable examples being:
- Him dealing with his dead fiancé feeling like a rushed version of Hiiro Kagami/Kamen Rider Brave's entire arc throughout his show.
- His backstory revolving around him being part-alien was also a very weird addition to his character