Ryu (リュウ(隆) Ryū?, "Prosperous", "Plentiful", "Abundant") is the main protagonist of the Street Fighter series, first appearing in the original Street Fighter. He is an experienced martial artist, highly focused on his training, aiming to become the strongest he can.
Why He Rocks
- He never gives up fighting against the most powerful world warriors, ranging from series staples such as Chun-Li, Guile, Sagat, Zangief and Cammy White to up-and-comers like Alex, Juri Han, Rashid and Ibuki.
- In fact, one of his biggest inspirations are his good friends Ken Masters and Sakura Kusanagi.
- He is incredibly brave, traveling across the world for a single fight in the streets, even if it means probable death.
- He appears in many of Capcom's produced crossovers along with Chun-Li, such as the Marvel vs. Capcom titles and the Project X Zone duology.
- In fact, he also appeared in Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U and will return in Ultimate, making it the first time he met the cast of Nintendo other than the ones from Fire Emblem such as Marth.
- He trains to become strong enough so he can fight against his greatest enemies, M. Bison and Akuma.
- He started the trend of competitive fighting games, along with Scorpion for horror-based fighters.
- He never backs down from becoming a better martial artist.
- For the most part, he's wise.
The Only Bad Quality
- He has became evil at times.
- In the Japanese version of the Capcom arcade quiz game Quiz and Dragons, Ryu's full name is given as Ryu Takegami (武神 隆 Takegami Ryū?), though this has never been referenced in any other media and it is unlikely Capcom considers this his full name officially.
- In artwork for Capcom Friendly Club, Ryu can be seen reading Masutatsu Ōyama's book called “Mas Ōyama’s straight punch attack” (マス大山の正拳一撃 Mas Ōyama no seiken ichigeki). It was the last work of Ōyama published in April 1994, the same month of his death.