“I am scared, but not just for me. What happened at Beacon shows that Salem doesn't care if you're standing against her or not. She'll kill anybody, and that scares me most of all. Pyrrha... Penny... I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hurt, that I didn't think about them every day since I lost them, that I didn't wish I had spent more time with them. If it had been me instead, I know they would have kept fighting too, no matter how dangerous it was. So that's what I choose to do - to keep moving forward.”
—Ruby to Oscar in Necessary Sacrifice.
Ruby Rose is the main protagonist of popular web series RWBY. She is a Huntress, having been trained at the now-defunct Beacon Academy.
Why She Rocks
- She aspires to be a great hero, like the ones in the fairy tales she was read to growing up, which is why she trained to be a huntress.
- When it comes to weapons, she's smart enough to be able to design and build her own High-Caliber Sniper-Scythe, Crescent Rose.
- She has a strong sense of moral justice, another reason she decided to come to Beacon.
- She has a great character design, and takes a heavy amount of inspiration from Little Red Riding Hood.
- While she sometimes acts without thinking, she can also have the ability to understand the situation better than most, and can quickly formulate plans.
- She proves to be an incredible fighter, as she's strong enough to take on an entire army of Beowolves and decapitate a Nevermore, on her own! She even gets stronger after the timeskip.
- Her Silver-Eyed Warrior abilities to turn Grimm to stone via a single are epic.
- While hiding the truth about Salem and the Relic of Knowledge from Ironwood since she doesn't not fully trust him, she worries that she has become the same as Ozpin and becomes conflicted with the morality of her actions.
- She's normally a very outgoing and friendly girl and has an enduring optimism that she can make the world a better place for everyone. When she regrets dragging her friends on a dangerous quest across the continent of Anima, Jaune tells her that she didn't drag anyone — her optimism and determination gave them the courage to follow her.
- Her Semblance, Petal Burst, Ruby's Semblance, Petal Burst, allows her to move at inhuman speeds that are nearly too fast for the eye to catch, making it appear as if she can teleport. She can use this ability in combat to dodge attacks, disorient enemies, hastily retreat and quickly counterattack. Her Semblance is also capable of providing limited flight capabilities. Because of this, its arguably better than regular super speed.
- Many fans feel that, despite being the main character, Ruby receives less character development or back story exploration compared to her teammates.
- She can be often impulsive and act without prior thought, especially during the beginning of the series.
- She, along with the other characters hide the truth about Salem and the Relic of Knowledge from Ironwood in Volume 7, although she did question her actions.
- Ruby also had a tendency to be rather naïve, especially during her first days at Beacon.
- She was flanderized and went out of character in RWBY Ice Queendom.
- Ruby alludes to Little Red Riding Hood from the fairy tale of the same name.
- Despite constantly being seen with cookies, her actual favorite food are strawberries.
- Ruby's is a playable character in BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle. A demo of her in the game was tweeted by Gray G. Haddock on October 3, 2017.
- Her name entire name alludes to the color red. Her first name alludes to a type of gemstone that is often found in red. Furthermore, "Ruby" is the name of an actual shade of red. Meanwhile, her surname, "Rose", alludes to another shade of red and a type of flower that is also found most often in red.
- According to Lindsay Jones, Ruby is not allowed to say swear words.
- Ruby's Huntress license number is 63600-34572-12560.
- 2010s characters
- Cute characters
- Intelligent characters
- RWBY characters
- Friendly characters
- Cartoon characters
- Optimistic characters
- Comic Book characters
- American characters
- Characters with Insecurity
- Beware the nice ones
- Internet memes
- CGI characters
- Magical characters
- Funny characters
- Young adults
- Characters with light powers
- Video game characters
- Damsel in distress
- Badass characters
- Crossover characters
- Martial artists
- Hilarious characters
- Likable characters
- Characters who went downhill