Robbie Rotten (also known as Glanni Glæpur in Icelandic) is the main antagonist of the Icelandic children's program LazyTown. He is the nemesis of the series' main protagonists, Sportacus and Stephanie Meanswell, who promote exercise, healthy eating, and an active and healthy lifestyle. He was portrayed by the late Stefán Karl Stefánsson.
Why He's Number One
- His status is "Number One Villain", and rightfully so, as he is a manipulative, underhanded, mischievious, charismatic trickster who'll stop at nothing to keep his status which he likes so much as a scoundrel.
- He is the most expressive character in the show, with comedic, cartoon-esque facial expressions, hammy mannerisms, and hilariously exaggerated body language, all thanks to the legendary Stefán Karl Stefánsson, who unfortunately passed away in 2018.
- His over-the-top body language and especially facial expressions are as close as humanity will ever get to a living, breathing cartoon character as a human. There's a reason for why Stefán Karl Stefánsson was called "the Icelandic Jim Carrey". It doesn't help that Stefán Karl Stefánsson himself even admits to taking inspiration from Jim Carrey's The Grinch from the live action How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000).
- His default walking pose is to swing his arms from side to side overdramatically, even if it's only a few steps.
- Most of the show's humor comes from his over-the-top antics, despite him being a villain. The comedy coming from his plans almost never works as intended because they are rather zany and childish, and getting any short-term victories like trapping Sportacus or becoming mayor never last.
- He has impeccable musical talent, singing unbelievably catchy songs with the likes of "You Are A Pirate", "Master of Disguise" and the internet meme "We Are Number One".
- Despite all of his shortcomings and flaws, Robbie shows certain degrees of brilliance, as he is known for coming up with cunning plans to make people lazy, such as his somehow perfect disguises. He is not called the "Master of Disguise" for nothing.
- In his disguises, he is very sociable, flamboyant, charming, and funny, all in his bid to make a slothful life seem like an attractive alternative to Sportacus' example.
- He sometimes appears to be extremely friendly, empathetic, and compassionate on terms with the LazyTown residents at times. In the episode "The First Day of Summer", it is actually revealed he really likes everyone in LazyTown, including Sportacus, and has nothing to do if they are all gone. However, it was only in that one episode, nothing else.
- His lair looks amazing for a show made in Iceland, and he is enjoyable to watch on screen in general, especially when he is talking to the viewer.
- He is a childish and eccentric buffoon, this is what makes him endearing as a goofy character.
- Dozens of funny and memorable quotes, such as "Who did you expect, Sportaflop?" "We are Number One!" and "Don't let your kids watch it!"
- “A villain couldn't even get peace and quiet on the moon!”
- “It's disguise time!”
- He has poor social skills when he isn't playing the villain.
- He's pretty inconsistent...
- After he had empathy in "Last Day of Summer," he went back to being a sneaky villain in the next episode without any trace of his kindness whatsoever.
- The same can be said after that Christmas special.
- He never appeared in LazyTown Extra at all.
- His actor, Stefán Karl Stefánsson, unfortunately, passed away on August 21, 2018.
- His song "We are Number One!" became a very popular internet meme since late 2016.
- Originally, he was staged as Glanni Glæpur. A malicious con man who contrasts his TV counterpart's goofier tone.