Note: To not be confused with Riku from the Kingdom Hearts series.
Riku Dola (リク・ドーラ, Riku Doura), is the main male protagonist of the 2017 drama film, No Game No Life: Zero. Riku being designated as “Spieler” (German for Player) by Ex-Machina after his demise, was an 18 years old Immanity who lived during the Great War on Disboard. He was one of the main protagonists in Tet's story. He encountered Schwi while going on an expedition and brought her to his colony after having lost in a game against her (albeit willingly, as he judged that winning was impossible, so instead he changed the bets to his favor).
Why He Rocks
- While Sora is the type that uses his intelligence to win against a god, Riku is the type that uses his for himself and his kind to survive.
- Riku is an interesting and a sympathetic character: Ever since his homeland was destroyed and he took over as leader of his colony, he's had a somewhat split personality. When the figurative lock on his heart is locked, he appears emotionless, cold and careless, but after meeting Schwi, he becomes more caring, open loving, and less cold.
- When he first met Schwi, he only saw her and her kind as emotionless killing machines, and now he had opened his feelings for her and both had gotten married.
- Both Yoshitsugu Matsuoka and Scott Gibbs are perfect casting choices for Riku.
- Riku is a skilled manipulator, and is capable of tricking anyone, even the matriarch of the Nilvalen family (known as the strongest and smartest Elf at the time).
The Only Bad Quality
- He blamed Schwi for the deaths of his comrades, when in reality, he left sacrificed them in order for him and his tribe to survive, so it's mostly his fault.
- His Japanese voice actor, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, is the voice of the main protagonist is Kirito of the popular anime series Sword Art Online.
- His name 'Riku' means earth or land in Japanese, in contrast to Sora's name which means sky.
- It is implied that Riku is the first-ever living being on the world of Disboard to create the concept of 'cheating without getting caught'. He is also the one responsible for the allocation of the 16 Race Pieces.
- He was still a virgin until his death at the end of the Great War, as he said himself.
- It is implied that he played a game with Tet when he was a boy.
- Riku bears a great resemblance to Sora, the reason for this, according to the author himself is for readers to be able to get into the story easier.
- Riku bear many similarities with Ken Kaneki from the Tokyo Ghoul series:
- Both have white hair (Riku's hair is natural, while Kaneki had his from being tortured by Jason), split personalities, and (formerly) lifeless, emotionless eyes.
- Both have lovers with dark colored hair, with Kaneki having Touka, and Riku having Schwi.
- Speaking of Touka and Schwi, both characters have purple colored hair, specified wings, and are non-human.
- Both Schwi and Touka happen to be complex characters, sometimes wanting learn what it's like to be human, and warms ups to the protagonist. The main differences is Schwi is a kuudere (meaning cold and emotionless), and Touka on the other hand is a tsundere (meaning hotheaded or harsh).
- Both had suffered too much, gone mentally insane, and lost people they cared about:
- With Riku, he had his home destroyed by an army of ex-machina, sacrificed his allies only to survive only to feel regret, lost his wife Schwi in the war, and destroyed everything in his sight only for him to die in the end.
- As for Kaneki, he lost his mother from overworking herself, had to move in with his abusive aunt, watch his close friends die in front of him, and suffers from PTSD, identity crisis, and memory loss.