“No one wanted me... I was cursed... I gave my life to you because you gave me a place in this world... I thought I was finally doing some good...“
—Qrow to Ozpin in So That's How It Is.
Qrow Branwen (pronounced "Crow") is the younger twin brother of Raven Branwen, biological uncle of Yang Xiao Long and honorary uncle of Ruby Rose.
Why He Rocks
- Despite his past involving being raised by murderous bandits who named him after crows because his permanently-active Semblance brings misfortune to all, despite it's benefits for him in battle, and him being forced to distance himself from loved ones to protect them, he still tries his best to be the best uncle he can towards Yang and Ruby.
- In spite of his tragic past, he still manages to not only add humor, but also offers wisdom to Team RWBY, the remaining members of JNPR, and even Oscar.
- He, as a man, feels that he has to do things himself to keep those he loves out of harms way, but still loves his family.
- He has arguably one of the best weapons in the series, Harbinger. Unlike most characters' weapons who are just a combination of 2 other ones, Harbinger is a hybrid of three, a sword, gun, and scythe!
- His power to transform into a crow is really cool and a pretty trusty one to have.
- Vic Mignogna, while he did only voice him from volumes 3-6, did a fantastic job voicing him. Jason Liebrecht did a great job to.
- He can often be quite rude, cynical, and sometimes even immature.
- Upon learning the truth about Ozpin, he punches a 14-year old Oscar, the latest reincarnation of the former.
- His alcoholism gets to the point where he'll often at drink at inappropriate times such as in front of children or during important strategic meetings. It's also clear that he cannot handle leadership without relying on alcohol as seen during his travels with Team RNJR, following the Fall of Beacon, and he becomes a liability to Team RWBY, JNR, and Oscar, and doesn't even notice the Apathy attacking them until he's physically dragged away from his drinking by Ruby and Weiss.
- Branwen is Welsh, meaning "blessed white raven/crow", which corresponds to his first name, and implies a second influence on his character, Branwen the Blessed from Welsh Mythology.
- Qrow was first seen in "Burning the Candle", not in a rendered model, but only as stylized artwork, and was first mentioned in "Ruby Rose".
- Kerry and Miles stated that Qrow was their favorite character to write because it was refreshing to have an adult character who does not take things seriously.
- American characters
- TV characters
- 2010s characters
- 2020s characters
- Hilarious characters
- Intelligent characters
- Fan favorites
- Unintentionally sympathetic
- RWBY characters
- Comic Book characters
- CGI characters
- Funny characters
- Internet memes