Poof Fairywinkle-Cosma is a main character of The Fairly OddParents starting in season 6. He is the son of Cosmo and Wanda, whose most notable spoken word is "Poof", which Timmy decides upon as his name.
Why He Fairly Baby Rocks
- He was added to the main show in season 6, and was a pretty decent character.
- He is very cute, being one of the cutest characters in the entire show, as well as one of the cutest Nickelodeon characters.
- Tara Strong does a great job voicing him, which is awesome since she also voices Timmy.
- He has some hilarious moments, such as whenever he burps and lightning happens, and when he bounces around having his fun.
- He is shown to be a good learner, like knowing when to fight Foop with his own unique abilities and to knew when to have his family and allies help him win.
- He is also willing to side with his enemies and others to save the day, like when he teamed up with his family, his friends, their enemies, and Timmy’s normal friends and family to stop the Darkness and its forces.
- Poof is a very caring person, that Fairy World adores him, and when pretending to be Mr. Crocker’s son, he was patient with him, and when his fairy form was shown, Mr. Crocker respected him and let him free, with a sweet moment. Poof even used his magic to summon Mr. Crocker’s robot son, so that Mr. Crocker wouldn’t be alone, which was nice of him.
- He cares about his family dearly, he loves his parents very much, liking to his mom’s caring side and his dad’s goofiness. He also loves Timmy as well, being his fairy god-brother, having fun with him on their adventures. He overall looks up to his family to lead him in the right direction of life.
- He will often help his family whenever the situation occurs, and is always there for them till the end.
- The words he’s managed to say other than "Poof" are adorable and good, as Poof is learning to speak more words, such as the names of his family, Mr. Crocker, and even indirectly referencing Kitty from T.U.F.F. Puppy, Butch Hartman’s other show.
- The episodes "School of Crock" and "Fairly Odd Fairy Tales" are where he actually starts talking in with full sentences fluently, which can be good to watch.
- Unlike most of the characters, he was not flanderized in seasons 9 and 10, and he still retains his original personality.
Intentional Fairly Bad Baby Qualities
- Much like Tweety Bird and Jerry Mouse, he is often misjudged for his gender, in which he looks more feminine than male. However, this could be intentional since the writers wanted to give him a cute appearance.
- While Poof was a decent addition to the cast, many fans and critics considered his introduction as to what kickstarted the downfall of The Fairly OddParents, as they felt that the show relied too much on "wacky baby shenanigans" since then, given that he is just a baby. The executives at Nickelodeon also used Poof's success at boosting the show's ratings as an excuse to keep adding a new character to the main cast every new season and it partially made the show worse. However, this aforementioned consideration can very easily be seen as nothing more than simply just plain blind hate with almost no thought at all whatsoever since most of the episodes in the sixth season onward didn't even revolved around Poof nor did the overall structure of the show (such as the dynamic between Timmy, Cosmo and Wanda) changed that much. Truthfully, it was just a little after season 7 began that the show began to go downhill until it drowned in seasons 9 and 10, mainly because of the debut of Ray DeLaurentis as head writer and co-executive producer, as well as Butch Hartman's supposedly lack of interest in the series or declining talent.
- Since he is just a baby, his powers aren't mastered yet. Examples include him crying when bad things happen, and burping when lightning happens.
- Just like with Tommy's younger brother Dil from Rugrats (since they both have the same voice actor), Poof's crying can be annoying depending on anyone's view.
- He also has a few gross out moments, but are understandable, since he's just a baby.
- Since season 9's "Let Sleeper Dogs Lie", Poof hardly appears for the remainder of the series, due to the writers wanting to focus more on Sparky, and in season 10s case, Chloe.
- In the episode "Certifiable Super Sitter" from season 10, his one and only appearance therein, his entire character is wasted on impersonations of several famous people, including Elvis Presley, Johnny Bravo from the series of the same name, Donald Trump and Gilbert Gottfried.
- Poof was born on February 18, 2008 (according to a picture of his birth certificate from a promo of the episode "Fairly Odd Baby").