Pauline (originally known simply as Lady and The Beautiful Girl) is the damsel-in-distress in the arcade game Donkey Kong, the installment that marked her debut to the Mario series in general, along with Mario and the titular character who captured her, Donkey Kong.
She is well-known for being Mario's first love interest before Princess Peach made her debut.
Why She's A Beautiful Damsel Singer
- In her more recent appearances, such as the Mini-Land games, she is represented as being sweet, laid-back and caring, as well as having a sense of humor and eye for business.
- She is kind-hearted and enjoys spending time with her friends.
- She received a big role in the then-recent Super Mario Odyssey, where she is appointed as mayor of New Donk City and enjoys peppy jazz music because it brings people together, she frequently practices singing to prepare for the next New Donk City Festival, she has such a love for her city that she often takes walks to admire it all,
- She excels at musical talent, wonderfully performing the song Jump Up, Super Star!, the main theme of the game.
- She is one of few female Mario characters not to get kidnapped by Bowser and openly hares him.
- She is very beautiful, especially in Super Mario Odyssey and The Super Mario Bros. Movie.
- She makes an appearance in The Super Mario Bros. Movie as Brooklyn's mayor during a broadcast.
- She lacked a clear personality, though is changed in her more recent appearances.
- She seems to think highly of herself but not enough to be considered egotistic.
- Though in the first Donkey Kong game she was just a damsel-in-distress and, as such, didn't play an integral part in the simple story of the game other than being rescued.
- Her infamous spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was hated for its difficulty.
- Pauline is stated by Game Over, a 1993 non-fiction book by David Sheff, to be named after Polly James, wife of Nintendo of America's warehouse manager, Don James.
- In Super Mario Odyssey, Pauline is able to quiz Mario on facts about herself, where she says that her hat is her favorite possession, she loves eating cake, and that her capture in Donkey Kong was "traumatic", although it helped her grow as a person.
- Nintendo characters
- Video game characters
- Damsel in distress
- Optimistic characters
- Friendly characters
- Intelligent characters
- 1980s characters
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- Attractive characters
- Cute characters
- Japanese characters
- Super Mario characters
- Illumination characters