"Don't let your kids watch it!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Violence and strong language.
"Nero: Are you feeling accepting yet?
Vergil: Of your existence? Or your strength?
Nero: Both, you f**king asshole!"— Nero expressing his anger and resentment towards his father Vergil.
Nero is the deuteragonist of the Devil May Cry franchise, serving as the main protagonist of Devil May Cry 4 and 5. He is the illegitimate son of Vergil, the nephew of the legendary Devil Slayer Dante and the grandson of the legendary Demon Knight Sparda.
Why His Time Has Come and So Has He
- Nero is the first Devil May Cry protagonist that isn't Dante. He started out as a naive young man that happens to have a lot of power in his arm which thought was broken.
- He also has a main weapon that was never made by his grandfather Sparda, since his sword Red Queen and his gun Blue Rose are made from motorcycle parts.
- He has more brutal forms of combat unlike Dante or Vergil.
- Is more violent.
- While not quite as strong as his father Vergil, Nero possesses a lot of traits that inherited from the former:
- The white hair.
- The desire to protect their loved ones at all costs.
- The devil's power and blood of Sparda.
- Lust for power.
- Inferiority complex.
- Wielding the Yamato.
- Having the Devil Trigger.
- Regardless of how his younger self looked way too similar to his uncle Dante than his father, Nero has a good character design, and the feature that stood Nero the most is his right arm, the Devil Bringer.
- His look in Devil May Cry 5 is a vast improvement over his debut look. Almost looking like Vergil.
- Even with his right arm being stolen by his father, he can still fight demons. That is until he got his ass kicked and resorted to use robotic arms as replacements.
- Great quotes:
- I'm baggin' this b***h!
- From that day forth... my arm changed... and a voice echoed, "Power. Give me more power!" And if I become a demon, so be it. I will endure the exile. Anything to protect her.
- Now get ready for the good s**t!
- Now I know... this hand was made for sending guys like you back to hell! And... now... you... DIE!!!
- Has nothing to do with me!? It has everything to do with me!
- I'M THE ONE... WITH POWER!
- F**K YOU!/DON'T F**K WITH ME!
- Both, you fucking asshole!
- Without strength, you can't protect anything.... I know that.
- So...devils cry, huh? Let's hear what that SOUNDS LIKE!
- Character Development: Nero started out as an edgy punk with no sense of authority nor self-respect has now changed to a mature young man who will do anything right by stopping Dante and Vergil from killing each other.
- Some people may not find him as interesting as his uncle nor his father.
- He tends to have anger issues:
- In Devil May Cry 5, Nero spends most of his character arc getting pissed at Dante for getting called "deadweight".
- Despite being a skilled devil hunter, he's pretty weak in terms of ability; since his sword is really heavy, and his combat consists of going all out by brute force.
- Nero is mostly left handed.
- The word "Nero" is Italian for "Black", but Nero's name is also a reference to the Emperor Nero of Rome. It was widely believed, even at his time, that he was the one who started the Great Fire of Rome, although some historians say otherwise. To deflect the blame, he targeted Christians, ordering some to be thrown to dogs, while others were crucified and burned.
- Nero is also named after Vergil's corrupted form; Nelo Angelo (which is also misspelled as Nero Angelo).