Monkey D. Luffy is the main protagonist of the anime adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's manga, One Piece. He is the captain of the Straw Hat Pirates and has a goal of becoming the King of the Pirates in order to have all of the freedom in the world. When he was 7 years old, he devoured a Devil Fruit called the Gum-Gum Fruit, which grants him properties of rubber.
Why He Is Going to be the Pirate King
- He is one of the most recognizable anime characters of all time.
- He is part of Shonen Jump's Big 3, alongside Naruto Uzumaki and Ichigo Kurosaki.
- His love for adventure and desire for freedom makes him relatable to viewers.
- He is rather creative with his Gum-Gum powers, which is why he is able to defeat his enemies, along with his strong sense of willpower.
- Despite not wanting to be a hero, he will help out anyone that he takes a liking to out of the goodness of his heart.
- He views his crew as his family and would do anything to assure their safety.
- His confident and optimistic nature inspires others to fight for their dreams.
- He saves countless coutries throughout the series, along with his crew.
- Character development: After witnessing his brother Ace being murdered by Akainu in front of him, Luffy became severely traumatized by Ace's loss that he mentally broke down. He realizes that being a pirate can sometimes means losing the people he cares about. After he recovered from his trauma, he develops a more realistic outlook on life and becomes less reckless and impulsive.
- He has an energetic and playful personality, which makes him fun to watch.
- He teaches viewers to be able to take risks to create a future.
- He can be childish, naive and reckless.
- He does not want to be a hero and his goal of being the King of the Pirates can be seen as selfish, albeit in a sympathetic way.
- Although his voice actresses from various countries did a good job voicing him, Erica Schroeder, in the 4Kids dub, was actually poorly directed and makes the voice very phoned-in and annoying.