This page is, dedicated to the late creator and company founder, Walt Disney (1901-1966). He will always be remembered for creating the magic.
This is a featured article!
"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing — that it was all started by a mouse."— Walt Disney, The Wonderful World of Disney
Mickey Mouse is an animated character created by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks back in 1928 and the mascot of The Walt Disney Company. He is an anthropomorphic mouse characterized as a cheerful, yet mischievous underdog who must rely on his quick-wit and athleticism to overcome adversity.
Why He's the Leader of the Club That's Made for You and Me
- He is one of the very first and probably the most famous cartoon icon out there along with the likes of Bugs Bunny, Homer Simpson and SpongeBob SquarePants. He is also possibly the most famous fictional character out there.
- His character is also essentially the face of Disney and is often considered to be the mascot of the company.
- He is wholesome and charismatic.
- He is a a free-spirited optimist.
- He is a a crafty quick-thinker who can always save himself from danger.
- He is a devoted friend who cares deeply for his loved ones, most notably his longtime girlfriend, Minnie.
- He made history by being the first cartoon character to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1978 on his 50th anniversary.
- He has proven himself to be quite skilled in combat, like the instances where he forced himself to be a valiant hero for Minnie.
- He is a reliable and professional leader, and this is shown the most in his own show, House of Mouse.
- His friendship/rivalry with Donald Duck is very awesome, as well as his friendship with and Goofy and Pluto.
- He collaborated with Bugs Bunny with a cameo from the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and everyone praised the scene where him and Bugs were also falling along the protagonist of the film.
- His rivalry with Donald can easily be compared with the rivalry/friendship between Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck or Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna.
- He also collaborated with Walt's iconic character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in the Epic Mickey game series.
- His laugh is as iconic as the likes SpongeBob's, The Cockroaches's and his buddy Goofy's. Speaking of which, Mickey is basically the original SpongeBob.
- All of his actors, especially Walt Disney did a good job voicing him.
- He has a bad habit of forgetting special occasions, especially the ones related to his relationship with Minnie.
- Speaking of old shorts, there were early Disney shorts from the late-1920s were he was seen as a bit sadistic towards others, specifically towards Minnie and other background farmyard animals.
- In fact, in his very first cartoon Plane Crazy produced before his "official" debut cartoon Steamboat Willie Mickey was depicted as extremely unlikable since he not only abuses animals, yet he even went so far as to antagonize Minnie. Though to be fair Mickey's character was still in development at the time.
- While this is actually very rare nowadays, there are times where he doesn't have much personality aside from being a happy-go-lucky cartoon character, which is very notable in most of the Hays Office-era cartoons between 1935-1953. In fact, this problem caused Mickey's role to be severely downplayed to supporting roles most of the time while his pals Donald Duck, Goofy and Pluto (mostly Pluto) instead took the spotlight in his place - with Pluto and the Armadillo being the worst offender considering that he only appeared in two scenes, in fact, he was even removed from the later "Mickey, Donald and Goofy" cartoons (which are eventually retooled into "Donald and Goofy" cartoons) since the late-1930s since the writers struggled to write material for him or even find a purpose for him in these cartoons due to Mickey's more restrictive "role model" status at the time.
- Like Superman, he's had several bad video games centered on him, for example Fantasia for the Sega Genesis, which was so bad that Sega got sued by Disney for trying to recall all copies due to Infogrames figuring out that Sega didn't own the rights to Fantasia, as it was all just Sega making sloppy accidental licensing agreements with Disney without Roy Disney Jr. realizing, as he made a promise with his uncle Walt that he would not let The Walt Disney Company make licensing deals with other companies to make adaptations of Fantasia.
- His design in the first season of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was a bit scary due to the CGI limitations, happily, his design improved in season 2 onwards, the same thing happened with Minnie Mouse, Goofy and Pete.
- Mortimer Mouse was the name that Walt picked for his new character. However, his wife Lillian thought it sounded too pompous and suggested the mouse be called "Mickey" instead, and the name "Mortimer" was used for another mouse character, who would become Mickey's love rival and Minnie's Uncle.
- Featured articles
- 1920s characters
- 1930s characters
- 1940s characters
- 1950s characters
- 1960s characters
- 1980s characters
- 1970s characters
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- Disney characters
- Characters by portrayal
- Hollywood Walk of Fame characters
- Cartoon characters
- Intelligent characters
- Friendly characters
- Innocent characters
- Optimistic characters
- Video game characters
- American characters
- Lawful Good characters
- TV characters
- Kingdom Hearts characters
- Disney Channel characters
- Mickey Mouse characters
- Characters that have traveled through time
- Movie characters
- Disney Junior Characters
- Important characters
- Likable characters
- Role models
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade characters
- Characters with good edge
- 2020s characters
- Cute characters
- 20th century characters
- Good characters who had a bad beginning
- Crossover characters