Maleficent is the main antagonist of Disney's 16th full-length animated feature film Sleeping Beauty, as well as one of the main antagonists of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. She is the arch-nemesis of the Three Good Fairies, Princess Aurora, and Prince Phillip.
Why She is the Mistress of all Evil
- Maleficent is one of (if not) the most popular and recognizable Disney Villains, in addition to being one of the primary members of the official franchise.
- Maleficent represents pure evil. She is ruthless, dark, devious, and will do whatever it takes to achieve her evil goals.
- Maleficent's outfit is cool, wearing her black and purple robe with bat wing-like edges, underneath her robe, she wears a dress with the same color pallet, but with some red instead of purple, and wears a gold ring with a large, mysterious, circular black stone in it.
- Maleficent is highly skeptical, sardonic, and manipulative, shown by how she referred to the Three Good Fairies as "the rabble", which nearly prompted Merryweather to attack her.
- Maleficent is a tall, slender, pale green-skinned (although some appearances of her depict her with gray skin) woman with a narrow face and a prominent chin.
- She is also frequently accompanied by Diablo, perched on her shoulder.
- She is an evil witch who takes offense at not being invited to the christening of Aurora and attempts to get revenge on King Stefan and his people by cursing Queen Leah and Stefan's beloved daughter, Princess Aurora.
- She is an evil sorceress, and her evil enables her to perform many magical and powerful spells. She carries a staff with a glowing green orb at the tip through which she casts her spells. She is also capable of shapeshifting at will into numerous forms, including a floating hypnotic light resembling a will-o'-the-wisp and a massive, monstrous black-and-purple dragon.
- She fights Prince Phillip in her dragon form at the film's climax. She gets defeated when the three fairies cast an enhancing enchantment on Phillip's Sword of Truth, which he throws into Maleficent's heart, mortally wounding her before she falls off the crumbling cliff to her death.
- She also appears as a major antagonist in the Kingdom Hearts series, as she seeks to gain control over all the worlds and spread darkness throughout them. She even forms a band of Disney villains to harness the power of the Heartless. While other Disney antagonists rarely have any significance outside of their original worlds, Maleficent's influence almost always extends throughout the worlds.
- She is presented as the Big Bad for most of the game, until the final act reveals that Ansem was the true mastermind, who used Maleficent as a pawn.
- Eleanor Audley and Susan Blakeslee both do a great job voicing her, the latter also portrays Wanda from The Fairly OddParents.
The Only Mixed Quality
- She becomes the main character in her own feature film Maleficent, which tells the untold tale of how and why she became evil, although it may not be the best execution, due to the Fairies and King Stefan suffering flanderization.
- Her inability to understand good. Maleficent doesn't understand the concepts of kindness, altruism and empathy as pointed out by Fauna.
- Her boss fight in the first Kingdom Hearts, where she's fought in her dragon form, is very difficult and quite challenging. Most of her attacks are very hard to avoid and do huge amounts of damage on top of that. Her only weak point is her head, but that's also where a lot of her attacks come from, the camera makes it hard to judge angles and distance.
- She gets a lot less threatening as a villain as the Kingdom Hearts series went on, even becoming irrelevant in Dream Drop Distance and III.
- Maleficent is one of the three Disney villains to say the word "Hell", the other two being Judge Frollo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Lord Forte from Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas.
- Her final scream was provided by recycled voice footage of Queen Grimhilde's from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
- Despite being considered one of the evilest Disney Villains, Maleficent isn't totally heartless. She did care for her pet raven Diablo and was shown shocked and horrified when Merryweather petrified him, which implies she may have had a soft side for her raven.
- In Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Maleficent was stabbed in the heart by Prince Phillip just like in her debut film, only this time, she manages to survive.