Katarina Claes (in Japanese: カタリナ・クラエス, Katarina Claes, sometimes spelled Catarina), also known as Lady Claes and Bakarina is the main "villainous" protagonist of the webnovel, light novel, manga and anime series I Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess With Only Destruction Flags. While not presented as a villain herself, Katarina Claes is actually the main antagonist character of a fictional game called Fortune Lover in the world of the series and is the romantic rival of the heroine Maria Campbell, the character the player of the game play with.
Katarina Claes was born as the Duchess of Claes Family and was a high-royalty authority in the Kingdom of Sorcier. Spoiled, arrogant, narcissistic and sadistic, Katarina is the enemy of Maria Campbell and is represented as a vicious woman capable of torture and murder to get what she wants... that is until a dense and goofy teenager girl from the real world lost her life in an accident and reincarnated as Katarina Claes in the world of Fortune Lover and does her best to avoid her villainous fate, including the same fate the original villainous Katarina Claes suffered in the game.
In the 2020 anime adaptation, she is voiced by Maaya Uchida in the Japanese version (whom also voiced Kaguya Ray Peram Westcott as the female version of Isaac Ray Peram Westcott in Danmachi: Memoria Freese - Date A Live Crossover and Frenda Seivelun in To Aru Kagaku No Railgun), and Jeannie Tirado in the English version.
Why She Rocks
- When she was first introduced, she was a spoiled child, but upon hitting her head on the floor, then remembering her past life as an otaku playing a game called Fortune Lover's, and lastly became less bitchy, a bit of a moron, but a friendly person who wants to rewrite her role as a character to avoid getting the bad ending.
- Since she's the opposite compared to the original Katarina, she does not care about luxury, and is really focused on strengthening her magic and farming skills and befriending everyone.
- She's had fun and watchable relationships with other characters:
- Upon remembering that she bullied and tormented Maria in the original game, the current Katarina instead protects her from other bullies, eats homemade sweets together, sometimes farms in Maria's house, and saved Maria from Raphael.
- Cool character design.
- Maaya Uchida was a great casting choice for Katarina.
- She has been working hard to avoid getting the bad ending for eight years, while it may be worth it, though Katarina charmed the hearts of both the male and female characters, and even she doesn't know if it's a good or bad thing!
- She's a bit of a moron and an airhead, and has a habit of farming wherever she wants, even on the school's garden.
- Katarina mostly panics when she's about to experience the same or similar route that the original had to endure, even when things are sometimes going well for her.