This page is dedicated to Tony Jay (1933-2006), who was the original voice for Judge Claude Frollo.
Judge Claude Frollo is the main antagonist of the Disney animated film The Hunchback of Notre Dame. He is a religious fanatic who uses his position as the Minister of Justice in the city of Paris to enrich himself and persecute those he considers inferior, especially the city's Romani population. He is the former master and ex-foster father of Quasimodo as well as his arch-nemesis and the murderer of his parents. This version of Frollo is noticeably more evil than his literary version.
Why He Rocks
- Frollo has proven to be one of the darkest villains to ever step foot into an animated film - even for Disney standards. Considering his actions and to other Disney villains, he's considered the darkest Disney villain to date.
- He was created this way to avert the Evil is Cool trope most Disney villains have.
- He doesn't possess magical powers like most Disney Villains, and is a pretty realistic psycho religious person, which makes him even more scary.
- He was voiced by the late Tony Jay, who previously played Monsieur D'Arque from Beauty and the Beast. Tony Jay did an amazing job voicing both characters.
- As the film went on he became more and more evil, to the point where he wants to kill innocent people.
- Frollo appears to be a rather stoic man, always appearing cool and collected, and only shows fear when Quasimodo overpowers him after he prepares to kill him and when he is about to fall to his death; he also shows visible fear when the many eyes of Notre Dame glare at him for murdering an innocent woman upon the cathedral steps.
- He rarely exhibits any humor, and whenever he does, it's dry and black.
- His villain song "Hellfire" is pretty catchy, but dark at the same time.
- He gets more screen time than any other Disney villain - at least 3/4 of the film.
- He's far darker than his original novel counterpart.
- He generally appears pretty polite, but there's still a sign of madness beneath the disguise.
- He has two badass boast, "Be mine, or you will BURN!!" and "I'll find her. I'll find her if I burn down all of Paris!"
- He can be considered the textbook definition of "cruelty". Heck, he was even willing to drown a baby!
- He sees himself as a good and righteous person, but he's actually one of the most sinful men of all time.
- He killed Quasimodo's mother, took him in as penance and acts very cruel and manipulative to Quasimodo for 20 years.
- His hatred of gypsies will often get the best of him.
- Idiot Move: Frollo is clinging to the side of Notre Dame with his sword drawn, and sees Esmeralda holding up Quasimodo, thus making her vulnerable and goes to attack her. You'd think he'd hop over to the balcony rail that's inches away from him. But instead: Shouting "And he shall smite the wicked!", he balanced his whole weight on a centuries-old gargoyle. As a result, the gargoyle, and he fell into the molten copper and died. Bonus idiot points: He cut through the gargoyle with his own sword minutes earlier.