The Joker is one of the main antagonists of DC Comics, most recognizably being the archenemy of Batman, having been directly responsible for numerous tragedies in Batman's life, including the death of Robin (Jason Todd, formerly the 2nd Robin, currently The Red Hood) and the paralyzing of Barbara Gordon (formerly the Oracle, currently Batgirl), although she regains use of her legs in “Batman Beyond”, and was generally one of the most infamous of Gotham's criminal elements. In the comics, the Joker is portrayed as a master criminal whose characterization has varied. The original and currently dominant image is of a highly intelligent and manipulative criminal with a twisted and sadistic sense of humour.
Why He Gets The Last Laugh
- He's one of DC's (and comic books in general) most iconic and dangerous supervillains. (Next to Red Skull from Marvel's Captain America).
- He's also one of the most recurring villains in the series- he's been around since the 1940s, and he's still well-remembered today.
- He can sometimes fit as a "magical girl" villain since he's a clown for example.
- He doesn't have superpowers like most of Batman's Rogue Gallery, but he is a madman who enjoys chaos and managed to be a very dangerous threat.
- Aside from being an extremely serious villain, he also has several different personalities, to usually benefit him.
- The Joker had many memorable movie/TV counterparts. The sheer wackiness of Cesar Ramero's performance in the 1966 Batman show, the equally entertaining performance of Jack Nicholson as Jack Napier in the Batman (Burton/Schumacherverse) film series, the insanity and brilliantly criminalistic personality as Mark Hamill provided the voice for Joker in the DC Animated Universe, the gritty nature of Heath Ledger, and a broken man against society as Joaquin Phoenix.
- All it took is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
- He had a toxic relationship with Harley Quinn.
- is heavily criticized for his lack of personality and charm of the character.
- Depending on your point of view, his appearance as a guest fighter in Mortal Kombat 11 could raise eyebrows.