WARNING! Spoilers ahead!
This article may reveal some pointers such as ones from the Manga or Light Novel of certain anime.
John Marston is a recurring character in the Red Dead series, appearing as a central character and the protagonist of Red Dead Redemption, its DLC Undead Nightmare, the deuteragonist of Red Dead Redemption II and later becoming the protagonist of the epilogue.
He is portrayed by Rob Wiethoff.
Why He Rocks
- The fact that he killed criminals' who he once considered his brothers just to save his family proves how much he really cares about his family.
- Rob Wiethoff did an amazing job voicing him.
- Depending on the route the player takes, he is a very kind-hearted man.
- He's also done a lot of heroic acts such as saving the horses from being burnt alive when Bonnie MacFarlane's ranch.
- He is always trying to get rid of his old criminal life just to protect his family from the FBI, which proves that he cares about his family.
- He seems to really care about the people he runs into and will help them in any way.
- He has amazing and impressive gun skills which he uses during the story & it also really defines who he is.
- Him & Arthur are quite a good duo. They also share a lot of bonding moments.
- He has a great sense of humor as most of his quotes are quite funny such as "I just know that there are two theories when arguing with women. And neither one works.", "I'll give you a bad case of 'someone just shot me in the head' if you don't hurry up.", and the best of all, "Why are you so interested in my life? Haven't you got one of your own?".
- He has some good bonding moments with his son, Jack.
- His iconic pose of the first game's cover is recreated in the sequel's epilogue as he shot a gang member.
- After Arthur dies, John becomes playable during the epilogue, where it leads to the events of the first Red Dead Redemption.
- His death was one of the saddest in gaming moments, where he helps his family escape and stays behind to confront the army troops lead by Edger Ross, but is shot and killed by the army soldiers. His body is buried on a hillside at the ranch.
The Only Bad Qualities
- He didn't want to talk about Arthur too much after he died trying to reunite John with his family.
- As much as he avenged Arthur's death by killing Micah, John defied his words and wishes: "When that time comes, you gotta run and don't look back.", meaning killing Micah isn't what Arthur wanted. Arthur just wants was John to keep running away with his family and not return as a outlaw.
- Although John would've killed Micah anyway if he were to visit his homestead.
- Him & his wife, Abigail, both share the same first names of second President John Adams & his wife Abigail.
- He had a different voice during development.
- If Arthur antagonizes the camp enough, John might punch Arthur.
- He is extremely similar to Johnny Klebitz, the protagonist from Grand Theft Auto: The Lost And Damned