WARNING! Spoilers ahead!
This article contains spoilers relating to this character and their source material.
Izuku Midoriya (in Japanese: 緑谷出久 Midoriya Izuku), also known by his nickname Deku (デク Deku), is the main protagonist of the anime/manga series My Hero Academia.
Though born without a Quirk (term for superpower), he manages to catch the attention of the legendary hero All Might due to his innate heroism and has since become his apprentice and also a student at U.A. High School. All Might later passes on his Quirk to Izuku, making Izuku the ninth holder of "One For All".
Why he will be a Symbol of Peace
- Although My Hero Academia is meant for teens, he's a great role model that always follows his dreams and never gives up.
- He can teach someone a valuable lesson such as Never Give Up and Be Brave.
- Even though he receives a powerful Quirk from a well-known superhero, he doesn't brag about it or abuse his given power.
- He is a very timid, helpful and polite boy, frequently overreacting to abnormal situations with exaggerated expressions.
- Due to being bullied since childhood for being born without a Quirk, he is initially portrayed as insecure, being more reserved and not self-expressive, especially in front of Katsuki Bakugo, who relentlessly bullied him and tried to crush his dreams of becoming a hero.
- Unlike many anime protagonists, Izuku has physical and emotional weaknesses, though he is still an outcast.
- He's a very powerful fighter, having improved reflexes and speed with the use of One For All, being able to hold his ground against various incoming attacks during the Provisional Hero License Exam.
- He is very diligent and strong-willed. Since he greatly admires heroes and has always dreamed to be one since his childhood, he developed a habit of writing down notes about everything he knows about heroes and their Quirks, including other U.A. students.
- Because of this practice, Izuku has developed a great analytical mind and is easily able to form complex plans in short amounts of time, often taking advantage of his allies' Quirks to put them in motion. This aspect also helps him in figuring out ways to counter Quirks used by his opponents.
- He is one of the best examples of "The Friendly Loved Boy" type.
- His design is very cute.
- He was a bit of a crybaby and had tendencies to scream a lot near the beginning of the series, which made it a bit annoying for some people.
- Some plot points can be pretty pointless with him, like making him the class president only to immediately turn that job over to Iida.
- In rarely some scenes, Izuku can be a "Butt-Monkey"-type character, despite being the main protagonist of the series. One example was when, as mentioned before, he was relentlessly bullied by Katsuki Bakugo.
- He may be similar to Tadashi Yamaguchi, in terms of being the "Zero to Hero" types, having childhood friends with opposite personalities, shy and kind personalities, the purpose of getting stronger and physical traits of green hair and freckles.
- The differences, however, are that Izuku is the main protagonist who wants to get stronger as a future hero and does not get along well with Bakugo (prior to the end of the second half of Season 3), while Yamaguchi is the supporting protagonist who wants to get stronger as a pinch server in volleyball and is best friends with Tsukishima.
- Like Giorno Giovanna, in most of the episodes where he is serious, he can be bland and dull personality-wise.
- "Deku" (デク) is another reading of "Izuku" (出久). Written with different kanji, it can mean a wooden figure or puppet, used as an insult for someone who can't do or achieve anything.
- In Chapter 304 of the manga, the previous One for All Users believe that Izuku will almost certainly be the last holder of One For All.
- In Chapter 306 of the manga, Izuku drops out of U.A. and goes on the run after it's revealed that All for One and Tomura Shigaraki are using the Quirk they stole from Ragdoll in order to hunt him down and steal One For All, with a one-month timeskip revealing that he's now become a vigilante.