WARNING! Spoilers ahead!
This article may reveal some pointers such as ones from the Manga or Light Novel of certain anime.
Itachi Uchiha (うちはイタチ, Uchiha Itachi) is a false antagonist of Naruto. He was a shinobi of Konohagakure.
Why He is the Hidden Leaf's Dark Knight
- He is one of the most well-written characters in the series. A man who never let the infamous fate of his family take over him, sees what is wrong with Konoha's ideology and corruption, Konoha's history with the Uchiha clan, played both sides of the Akatsuki and the village by pretending to be evil, and sacrificed everything to prevent war for the good of the world, especially Sasuke's.
- Extremely awesome design which brings out both evil and good sides of him.
- His powers are iconic. Examples include Amaterasu, Susanoo and his Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Even though he killed his clan, it was because he wanted to protect the Leaf village.
- He is extremely powerful, being able to defeat Kakashi.
- His relationship with his friend Shisui is touching, as Shisui sacrificed himself, causing Itachi to gain the Mangekyo Sharingan.
- He was extremely skilled at a young age, even entering the Anbu at age 11.
- Despite Sasuke hating him, he does care for him, like when he teamed up to defeat Kabuto, and they both released the Edo Tensei jutsu.
- In the Road to Ninja movie, he helped Naruto and Sakura defeat Menma.
- He was one of the few people who made Naruto get stronger and become a great ninja.
- He is extremely smart, having the second best scores at his school.
- In Part 1, he was the strongest character known at the time, back when the strongest characters shown were Kakashi, the Hokages, Jiraiya and Orochimaru.
- During the war, he redeemed himself told Sasuke the truth in his own words, broke out of Kabuto's Edo Tensei jutsu, helped Naruto and Bee take down Nagato, and teamed up with Sasuke to defeat Kabuto and release the jutsu.
- Itachi was also the first and only person who convinced Naruto that becoming Hokage doesn't mean everyone will fully accept and acknowledge him, but more on becoming accepted first before becoming Hokage.
- He did kill the Uchiha clan, even if he was practically forced into committing genocide.
- He psychologically traumatized Sasuke by forcing him to experience the deaths of their parents countless times, and his ruthless beatdown of Sasuke is what spurred Sasuke into leaving the village in the first place.
- He assisted the Akatsuki in capturing and extracting the Tailed Beasts from all the Jinchuriki, including Gaara.
- He almost killed Naruto and tormented him with a genjutsu during Gaara's rescue, though it was revealed that it was a sand ninja disguised as him.
- The name "Itachi" means "weasel" (鼬), while his family name "Uchiha" is another way of pronouncing "uchiwa" (団扇, paper fan), which is actually the Uchiha clan's symbol. Uchiwa can be used to fan flames, making the flame hotter — referring to the fact that the Uchiha is a clan of Fire Release users.
- Itachi consistently ranks highly in the Shōnen Jump popularity polls for the series, his highest to-date position being fifth most popular character.
- Itachi and Kisame made a brief cameo appearance in the Hidden Leaf Village Grand Sports Festival!, where they were standing in line to use the bathroom, along with many other random characters.
- Itachi's nickname "…of the Sharingan" (写輪眼の…, Sharingan no…) is also held by Kakashi Hatake and Sasuke Uchiha.
- Studio Pierrot's Settei sheets of Itachi show that he was 125 cm as an Academy student, 130 cm as a genin, 148 cm when he became an Anbu, and 170 cm around the time of the Uchiha Clan Downfall.
- Itachi noted that his specialties in ninja skills are genjutsu, Fire Release, and shurikenjutsu.
- According to the databook(s):
- Itachi's hobby was visiting traditional Japanese cafés.
- Itachi wished to fight Sasuke.
- Itachi's favourite foods were cabbage and onigiri with seaweed in it, while his least favourite was steak. Itachi was also very fond of sweets, dango being his favourite.
- Itachi had completed 340 official missions in total: 53 D-rank, 152 C-rank, 134 B-rank, 0 A-rank and 1 S-rank.
- Itachi's favourite word was "peace" (平和, heiwa).
- Itachi had always poked his younger brother, Sasuke Uchiha, in the forehead when they were younger, saying "Forgive me Sasuke… Again, next time" (「許せサスケ…また今度だ」, "Yuruse Sasuke… Mata kondo da"). This is referred to very poignantly with Itachi's last words, as he pokes his brother's forehead again and says, "Forgive me Sasuke… …It ends with this" (「許せサスケ……これで最後だ」, "Yuruse Sasuke… …Kore de saigo da")
- Itachi is tied with Jiraiya for having the highest stat total in the databooks,
- Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato and Kabuto are the only non-Uchiha members who knew about Itachi's past.
- Articles containing spoilers
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- 2020s characters
- Anime characters
- Shueisha characters
- Shonen jump characters
- Former villains
- Comic Book characters
- Likable characters
- Role models
- Fan favorites
- Martial artists
- Naruto characters
- Complex characters
- Badass characters
- Unintentionally sympathetic
- Characters with dark powers
- Characters with fire powers