Hugh Beaumont Neutron is a major character in the Jimmy Neutron franchise.
Hugh Neutron is Jimmy Neutron's father and Judy Neutron's husband. He is portrayed as a clueless, stupid, and dim-witted person who is obsessed with ducks, pies, his wife's toast, and messing around with Jimmy's inventions, which causes trouble for Jimmy and everyone else. Other than that, however, he is a typical father who usually gives a piece of advice to Jimmy, regardless of whether it is being told badly or foolishly. In the movie, he was fairly intelligent and eccentric, but for the rest of the franchise, he becomes more strange, childish, bumbling, and incompetent than before.
Why He's Donut Boy
- He’s just as likable and unforgettable as other characters such as Carl Wheezer and Sheen Estevez, who is also a lovable comic-relief character.
- He has a good character design.
- He is hilarious and has many hilarious moments that are flat-out memorable because of his dimwitted and bizarre nature, such as his talented 'Donut Boy' persona; showing his amazing acting and singing skills with his wild imagination.
- Much like Brak, he had an upgrade to his character to give him more personality than before. Where Hugh went from being a typical "father knows best" type of character in the 2001 film (if having average intelligence) who was a bit eccentric and now into the bumbling and hilariously quirky ditz we all know and love because of his reduced intelligence.
- Because of his quirky nature, he sometimes steals the show with his comically eccentric behavior or his random sayings he tries giving as his own form of advice to Jimmy, which comes off as insanely hilarious.
- With this in mind, his quirkiness can sometimes come off as endearing.
- Speaking of which, he is one of the most forgivable examples of the typical “dumb dad” trope. As he is shown to deeply love and care for his son, and the things he does are usually related to the plots of the episodes in question rather than just for running gags. In contrast to many other dad characters of fiction, who are all either abusive or otherwise neglectful towards their children in their own respective ways.
- With that said, the way he cares for both his son and family is very charming, especially where Hugh would do anything in his own form of 'wisdom' to help him, no matter how foolish or dorky he makes himself out to be. And the ways he affectionately refers to his wife Judy as his "Sugarbooger", while strange and childish for a nickname, is very iconic and cute.
- He has many memorable/comedic catchphrases and lines of dialogue that are hilarious to listen to, such as “Now, you gotta admit, THAT is pretty neat!! But very unsafe so that's bad”, “I know son but if all your friends were named Cliff, would you jump off them?”, “*gasp* Sir. QuacksALot!”, “Oh, Goddard... Not on the porch!”, “CRAB GRAAAAASS!!!!!”, “Mornin' Wheezer! Mornin' Squirrel! Mornin', two-ton space rock hurtling down on my h- Aaah!”, “Who's the super cool cop that always gets the bad guys? Donut Boy! That's me! Yeah! He brings a delicious assortment of...sweet delights! Donut Boy! Got a creamy filling!” and most especially, “Hey look at all the pie! YES! I will do it! I! WILL! LLLLLIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEE!!!”.
- His quotes had spawned plenty of memes, like his (somewhat inappropriate) anecdote about sitting on a banana for example.
- Much like Bullwinkle J. Moose from Rocky and Bullwinkle, Hugh's stupidity aside, he is usually very good-natured and well-meaning.
- He's got his awesome moments in the TV series, ranging from fighting mutant crabgrass to scaring off a bear with a torch to fighting a robot snake with donuts, which is generally done to help his son. It also shows that while Hugh is extremely weird and a childish idiot, he won't play nice if anyone threatens his son whenever Hugh's around, this would be where he shows how badass he is.
- His love for pie and ducks is very charming, amusing, and iconic.
- Mark DeCarlo and Uncle Al both do an amazing job at portraying and voicing the character.
- He was such a beloved character, he and his wife even had a fantastic crossover with Uncle Al that had an entire episode dedicated to Hugh himself and his iconic obsessions with ducks and pie, which is a very heartwarming and enjoyable video that centers on him. It even had his voice actor, Mark DeCarlo, and the voice actress of Judy Neutron, Megan Cavanagh, involved in the making of that video, which just shows how incredible Hugh really is outside of the meme culture.
- His stupidity can cause trouble, especially when he screws around with Jimmy's inventions for no good reason.
- He can cause the episode's problem because of being very childish.
- He (along with Judy) doesn't always trust Jimmy with whatever happens as a potential danger (e.g he and Judy do not believe Jimmy for not sabotaging the gifts he had to share with the family in the episode "Clash of The Cousins" as they punished Jimmy for the sake of maintaining their image around Jimmy's wealthy aunt Amanda).
- He can do some gross, repulsive stuff such as belching when it pertains to gross-out humor with being disgusting.
- He usually leaves Judy to do the disciplinary actions prior to his cluelessness and goofiness.
- Because of his hilarious quirks and eccentricities, he became very memeable (the best examples of this include Uncle Al's interpretations on Hugh).
- Hugh is best friends with Mr. Estevez and Mr. Wheezer. This could explain how and why Carl and Sheen are shown to be big fans of Hugh himself (albeit Carl is hilariously attracted to Jimmy's mom aside from that).
- Cartoon characters
- Nickelodeon characters
- Jimmy Neutron characters
- Characters that have traveled through time
- Dynamic characters
- Characters by portrayal
- Optimistic characters
- Characters that are incompetent
- Dumb characters
- Immature characters
- Large Hams
- Quirky characters
- Funny characters
- Hilarious characters
- Neurotic characters
- Friendly characters
- Ethical Hedonists
- Logic breakers/defiers
- Fan favorites
- 2000s characters
- TV characters
- Internet memes
- Comic relief
- Likable characters
- CGI characters