Professor Hershel Layton (born Theodore Bronev) is the titular main protagonist of the Professor Layton series. He is employed as a professor of archaeology at Gressenheller University in London, and is renowned throughout his universe for solving incredibly difficult cases.
Why He Rocks
- He is an astute and gentlemanly individual who is quite keen of puzzles, and is always eager to learn more about his world.
- He has an incredibly strong sense of justice, as shown in the end of Unwound Future, where he remained supportive of and even empathized with Clive after the latter had attempted to wreck London with his mobile fortress, due to their shared hatred of Bill Hawks for showing no remorse in causing a lab accident that killed many innocent lives.
- He often espouses the importance of solving puzzles poignantly and effectively.
- He treats his close associates, Luke, Emmy, and Flora, as the family members he never had, even allowing usually the former two to solve puzzles alongside him.
- Despite preferring to engage in battles of wits over physical violence, he is also shown to be a prolific fencer, often wielding any blade he can find whenever physical combat becomes necessary.
- "We can only uncover the truth if we stay calm and remain rational."
- His legacy ends up becoming so influential to his universe that his own adopted children, Alfendi and Katrielle, inherit most of his techniques and mannerisms.
- His deep loyalty to his friends and family can sometimes cause him to be overanxious in regards to the safety of others.
- Hershel is usually never seen without his top hat, which was a gift from his deceased fiancé, Claire Foley. In Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, he even admits that he is "too attached to [his] top hat to let it go", adding "It is the mark of a gentleman!"
- Video game characters
- Anime characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- 2020s characters
- Cartoon characters
- Crossover characters
- Beware the nice ones
- Japanese characters
- Intelligent characters
- Friendly characters
- Important characters
- Likable characters
- Hard workers
- Titular characters