Heinz Doofenshmirtz is the main antagonist of the Disney Channel animated series' Phineas and Ferb. He plays the role of the forgetful, clumsy, and evil scientist that commonly fought against his arch-nemesis (sometimes friend) Perry the Platypus with his "-Inators" who reformed himself at the end of the show.
Why He Takes Over the Tri-State Area and in a Good Way
- He makes every battle with Perry the Platypus count.
- As the series progresses, they go from enemies, to frenemies, to friendly allies, making him likable.
- Although his physical appearance is that of a generic mad scientist with a faux German accent, he manages to stand out because of his personality, wit, goofiness, slapstick, and chemistry with Perry the Platypus, not to mention his genuine love for his daughter.
- He has shown to be quite creative with his inventions, as he creates every inator he can (not inizer!).
- Unlike his parents, he's proven to be an excellent and caring father. He tries to protect his only daughter, Vanessa and will do anything he can to ensure she's happy rather than neglected. It's proof he's not such a bad guy once you get to know him.
- Although random, his backstories give him more depth and are really entertaining and tragic at the same time.
- Dan Povenmire does a brilliant job voicing him.
- His recurring catchphrase "Curse you, Perry the Platypus!" is downright hilarious, memorable, and timeless to hear.
- Despite seemingly embracing his villainy, he is actually a kind and caring person towards those he befriends. He even cares about the well-being of his nemesis Perry, and even gets along with Phineas and Ferb at any chance they meet. He eventually embraces his good side and renounces his villainy in the end.
- In fact, his reason for turning to evil was simply because he was shunned by those around him and simply wanted respect and recognition, having been treated as a butt-monkey all his life. Even his nemesis, Perry the Platypus understands this.
- In the Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars crossover special, Dr. Darthenshmertz is tired of being the lowest of the Darths, and expressed his jealousy towards Darth Vader, he built the Sith-Inator to turn himself into a full-fledged Darth.
- In the second movie, Candace Against the Universe, his rivalry with Isabella over leadership is hilarious, especially when he sang about being a leader just because he is an adult who gets to be in charge!
- His iconic catchphrases like:
- "Ah, Perry the Platypus! What an unexpected surprise. And by unexpected, I mean completely expected!" (intro)
- "Behold, the (any type of machine) -Inator! With this, I can take over the tri-state area!" (introducing his inator)
- "MY NAME IS DOOF, AND YOU'LL DO AS I SAY!! (WHOOP WHOOP)"
- "CURSE YOU PERRY THE PLATYPUS!" (Defeat as afurthermore mentioned from above.)
- For an evil genius like him, he's not the sharpest tool when it comes to competency, which is one of the biggest reasons why Perry often wins:
- He also admitted to accidentally adding self-destruct buttons under the soles of his army of robots, thus ending his own reign of world domination before it even started.
- Surprisingly enough, he is easily deceived by Perry the Platypus because he SOMEHOW can't tell difference between his facial appearance and color scheme unless he is wearing nothing but his signature hat. Making him seem very credulous and bizarrely slow on the uptake with recognizing what Perry looks like, this was taken to the point where in Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension; his alter-ego from the other dimension has more common sense than Doofenshmirtz himself.
- His voice actor, Dan Povenmire, sometimes lampshades and lampoons the comedic shortcomings of Doofenshmirtz in his own videos and skits. This was taken to the point where the voice actor even agrees with the criticism of other viewers who pointed out Doofenshmirtz's baffling levels of credulity.
- Doofenshmirtz lets others (including his own family (except his daughter)) be their stepping stones rather than standing up to them.
- He once hosted a conquest party full of adult guests on top of his building, in his underwear, in "The Remains of the Platypus", which can be a slightly inappropriate for some viewers and a bit too much for a TV-G rating.
- He made an invention when it was supposed to turn his brother Rodger (in "Quietest Day Ever"), ugly, but instead, he accidentally created a zombie apocalypse and almost doomed the entire world (in "Night of the Living Pharmacists").
- He also accidentally turned Ferb into a Sith lord (Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars).
- Some of his evil plans and inventions aren't quite as dastardly as he thinks it is:
- Doofenshmirtz sometimes builds inventions for petty reasons, like building a rocket to make the Big Ben tower fly all the way into his home but somehow thinks "simply parking to buy a clock/watch is a hassle", when what he did was already cumbersome enough. Or creating a teleportation ray to move the building to another location so that he can see the movie drive way in his apartment.
- He and Perry have been in more media related to the Phineas and Ferb franchise than Phineas and Ferb themselves. Literally.
- Disney characters
- 2000s characters
- Characters that are often misjudged
- Beware the silly ones
- Laughably evil
- Large Hams
- Characters that are incompetent
- 2010s characters
- Internet memes
- Friendly characters
- Innocent characters
- Gullible characters
- Sarcastic characters
- Disney Channel characters
- Disney XD characters
- Fan favorites
- TV characters
- Funny characters
- Hilarious characters
- Comic relief
- Likable characters
- Characters with Tragic Backstories
- Characters with good voices
- Phineas & Ferb characters
- Important characters
- Cool characters
- Unintentionally sympathetic