"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Goro Akechi is the (former) secondary antagonist (and one of the playable characters) of the videogame Persona 5, and the main tritagonist of the third semester in its updated game, Persona 5: Royal. He was a detective who is investigating the mysterious Phantom Thieves of Hearts case sensationalizing Japan. Akechi eventually joined the Phantom Thieves, despite his negative stance towards them and their activities.
Why He Rocks
- His criticisms towards the Phantom Thieves can be somewhat fair, considering he disapproves of their methods of stealing hearts.
- His backstory is indeed tragic and his reasonings of being evil is very understandable, since his father Masayoshi Shido caused his mother to commit suicide and ruined his own son's life, Akechi developing a strong hatred for his father, to the point that he swore he would get revenge on him.
- The way he is characterized really not only serves as a great foil, rival, and mirror to Ren Amamiya, but also matching in similarities:
- Ren isn't very popular at school when he was first introduced, while Akechi is loved by many.
- An ironic parallel with the two: with how unpopular Ren was, he has many friends that had problems at school, while Akechi remains alone.
- Ren promised himself to find the man who ruined his life into justice while Akechi chose to kill the same man who've ruined his.
- Ren and Akechi both have the wild card in terms of Personas.
- His English voice actor Robbie Daymond had fun portraying him, especially in his psychotic phase.
- He gets major development in Persona 5: Royal, mostly in the third semester:
- Akechi leaves his goody two shoes personality, and he is now perfectly comfortable showing his true self, he behaves more coldly and seriously, speaking in a straightforward manner without any sugar coating, regardless of who he's talking to. He won't bother making small talk, directing the conversation straight to the point.
- He refuses to let Maruki gain control over him, wishes for atonement from all the psychotic breakdowns he's caused, framing and attempted murder towards the Phantom Thieves, and wanted to choose a path for him and only himself.
- His first Persona, Robin Hood may look like your average superhero, but his second/third Persona Loki/Hereward, ranges from terrifying to badass looking.
- He and Ren may be similar, Akechi is overwhelmed with jealousy, refuses to lose to Ren, and consider him as his rival.
- Some memorable lines such as:
- "Am I mistaken? I thought I've heard something about delicious pancakes."
- "Pancakes... I don't want to hear that word again for a long time..."
- HOLD STILL, YOU LITTLE SHIT! What a waste of time.
- I'm a bit occupied here, SO HURRY UP AND DO YOUR GODDAMN JOB!
- His All-Out Attack, "My Sole Interest Is Uncovering The Truth" is beautiful.
- His second All-Out Attack, "I Decide The Truth" is also cool.
- Before the third semester, he's infamous for all the psychotic breakdowns that happened before the prologue, murder, and framing the Phantom Thieves.
- Akechi can be brutally honest that he can make rude replies sometimes.
- He can get away scot-free because he killed Rem Amamiya, Kunikazu Okumura, and murdered Wakaba Ishiki, which is proven that he was lost, especially in Royal.
- He never gives comeuppance in both the original and Royal, which makes him a Karma Houdini.
- He, Ren, Makoto/Kotone, Aigis, Yu are the only characters in Persona that have received a wild card so far.
- Akechi is ambidextrous, but he is mostly left handed.
- His favorite food is anything he would recommend.
- Ironic of Akechi quoting "delicious pancakes" and thus becoming an internet meme, it was revealed in Persona 5: Royal that pancakes were never his favorite dish.
- His appearance as Black Mask bears a striking resemblance to Guts while wearing the Berserker Armor in Berserk.
- Pages using Tabber parser tag
- Content Warning
- Anime characters
- Video game characters
- Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Characters
- Former villains
- Characters with dark powers
- Characters that are often misjudged
- Internet memes
- Unintentionally Sympathetic
- SEGA characters