"Three times now... We've fought world wars for our own nations, our own villages. We've hurt one another. We've hated one another. That hatred bred a lust for power, and that lust for power created ME. I was a Jinchuuriki, the embodiment of hatred and power. And I hated this world, and all the people in it... I wanted to destroy it with my own hands. The exact same thing Akatsuki is trying to do today. But one man, one ninja from Konoha stopped me. I was his enemy, yet he wept for me! I hurt him, yet he called me his friend! He saved me! My enemy, my fellow Jinchuuriki... He suffered the same pain as me, yet bore no ill will! There are no enemies here because we've all suffered at Akatsuki's hand! SO THERE IS NO SAND, NO STONE, NO LEAF, NO MIST, NO CLOUD! THERE ARE ONLY SHINOBI! And if you still hold a grudge against the Sand, then when this war is over, come and take my head instead! Our enemies are after the friend who saved my life! If they take him, if we hand him over, our world is finished! I want to protect him, and I want to protect our world! But I'm too young to protect it all on my own! All of you lend me your aid!"— Gaara
Gaara (我愛羅, Gaara) is a shinobi of Sunagakure. He was made the jinchūriki of the One-Tailed Shukaku before he was born, causing the villagers of Suna to fear him as a monster.
Why He Rocks
- He has one of the most tragic backstories in the series, having been abused by his dad when he was younger.
- While he was a power-hungry maniac during the Chunin Exams, after Naruto defeated him, he realized his mistakes and became a hero and ally to the Leaf.
- He has some of the best fights in all of the series, one of his most iconic is his fight against Rock Lee.
- When the Akatsuki members Deidara and Sasori attacked the sand, he helped defend it and sacrificed himself to protect his village.
- During his days as a bad guy, he was rather polite, as he apologized for what Kankuro and Temari did to Naruto, Sakura and Konohamaru during his first apperance.
- Unlike most of the other characters who use hand seals, he uses his sand that comes from his giant sand bag, which makes him more unique.
- All of his designs look awesome.
- He became Kazekage at the young age of 14
- When Sasuke left the village, he was sent by Tsunade to assist Naruto and the team to help defeat the Sound Four. He teamed up with his old rival Rock Lee to defeat Kimimaro.
- During the war, when his dad was reincarnated by Kabuto, his dad saw that he has gotten a lot stronger than him.
- In Boruto, when Momoshiki attacks the stadium, he helps rescue the people from him.
- In Boruto, he has a few kids.
- He almost ruined Rock Lee's career as a shinobi by breaking his leg. Thankfully, Tsunade was able to heal him.
- His hairstyle in Boruto is awful.
- In his early appearance, he was a blood-thirsty maniac, killing several people to prove his existence and even preparing to kill Lee after their fight while he was in the hospital, only being stopped by the arrival of Naruto, Shikamaru and Might Guy.
- The name "Gaara" literally means either "self-loving demon" or "self-loving silk" (我愛羅).
- When Gaara was first named in the English Shōnen Jump, his name was rendered as "Gāra" (which is incorrect as the 2 "a"s in his name are both separate in its furigana rendering as opposed to an extended vowel). The name has also appeared on many merchandise, such as action figure packaging and trading cards.
- In the Naruto character popularity poll, Gaara is one of four characters to have always placed in the top ten of every poll.
- In the Live Spectacle Naruto, the role of Gaara was played by Kenta Suga.
- According to the databook(s):
- Gaara's hobby is battling and cultivating cacti.
- Gaara's favourite foods are salted tongue and gizzard, while his least favourite are yōkan and marron glacé.
- Gaara and Naruto are both the same weight and height by Part II.
- Gaara wishes to fight Sasuke Uchiha and anyone, if it is for the sake of his village.
- Gaara has completed 34 official missions in total: 0 D-rank, 9 C-rank, 8 B-rank, 14 A-rank, 3 S-rank.
- Gaara's favourite words are, in the first and second databook, "love for oneself" (自愛, jiai), and in the third databook, "affection" (慈愛, jiai) and "future" (未来, mirai).
- One of Shukaku's previous jinchūriki foretold that one day someone would show it the meaning of the words which were tattooed on his own hands: "accept" (受, ukeru) and "heart" (心, kokoro). The tattoo on Gaara's forehead, "love" (愛, ai), is a combination of these two kanji.
- Gaara could possibly be of South Asian origin, possibly Indian, Pakistani or Nepali due to his name, his powers and his outfits.
- In 2008, a young boy from Washington. DC killed himself while pretending to be Gaara.
- Pages using Tabber parser tag
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- 2020s characters
- Anime characters
- Shueisha characters
- Shonen jump characters
- Former villains
- Comic Book characters
- Likable characters
- Martial artists
- Naruto characters
- Characters with earth powers
- Fantasy characters
- Fan favorites