"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Fuuka Yamagishi is one of the playable characters of Persona 3. She is a student at Gekkoukan High School and a member of SEES who is a shy junior that went missing for several days as it turns out that Fuuka was locked up in a school gymnasium. Even after her escape, it was still rumored that Fuuka escaped and killed herself by suicide. SEES theorizes that Fuuka became trapped in Tartarus when the school transformed into Tartarus at midnight and that only several hours passed for her in the Dark Hour, not days. SEES takes part in a dangerous mission to rescue Fuuka. On that same night during the Dark Hour, we get to see Fuuka summon her Persona for the first time and finds that she can detect the weaknesses of the enemies.
Why She Rocks
- If there's one thing that makes Fuuka likable is that despite being a very shy girl who rarely speaks up, she is also a friendly and polite student. In fact, she's even more kind-hearted compared to Yukari Takeba.
- One of the key features she has as a party member is that she tries to help her friends in any way possible such as using her Persona's abilities to scan the stats and weaknesses of Shadows as she's a diligent student that some people would want to have as a friend.
- She's independent. So independent that she survived in Tartarus for ten hours by herself when SEES were barely able to last an hour usually. What a feat that is true!
- Following her personality of being a kind student, Fuuka is very forgiving. To prove this to you, Fuuka holds no grudge whatsoever against Natsuki Moriyama for bullying her. In fact, Fuuka even saves Natsuki from Arcana Emperor and Arcana Empress and they two became fast friends.
- That's not all, there is a prominent scene that she got shocked over the fact that Natsuki is transferring to a new school, but that's where the moment begins where Fuuka notices that both her Persona and hacking skills are manifestations of her desire to always be connected to her friends.
- Though it was never shown during her screentime, she's implied to be a master at hacking like the time when she hacks top-level Kirijo Group archives in order to find out the truth about SEES and Tartarus.
- Her appearance is cute. Especially when she makes these faces. You just can't help it feeling good about seeing her adorable appearance.
- After Shinjiro Aragaki's death, Fuuka blamed herself which lead Yukari Takeba and Mitsuru Kirijo to mention that it's not her fault. Fuuka becomes even more depressed after Natsuki getting transferred. As a result, Fuuka learns that you don't get any second chances in life. She then admits that she did her best to fit in because she felt afraid of not being liked. After Natsuki left, she decides to overcome her shyness and is more outgoing. So you see that is the power of character development as some people can relate to her.
- Another instance of character development would have to be her relationship with her parents. She does not really get along with them well because they are the reason why Fuuka became shy as she believes that living at home is difficult. Later on, however, she goes home to see her parents frequently and having an implication that the relationship between Fuuka and her parents became improved.
- During the events of The Answer, she acts like a peacekeeper of the group like when she called out Akihiko Sanada's idea of killing Metis to make sure she does not turn on them again.
- She is also shown to have a trusting side like when she sided with Aigis willingly due to how Fuuka believes that whatever Aigis does will be the right one. Of course, you know, Aigis is also a party member of SEES.
- Her backstory is relatable and so sympathetic as she has been bullied by some girls before including Natsuki and has been locked up in a school gym. Can you imagine what it is like if that happened to you?
- She sucks at cooking most of the time, but using her S.Link with Kotone Shiomi and getting some help from Shinjiro.
- In Persona 3 Portable, if you max out her social link on a New Game+ as Makoto Yūki, she will spend time with the protagonist during the final cutscene rather than Aigis.
- She normally sucks at cooking as mentioned before.
- Despite being likable, her voice can be annoying to some (Especially in the original game). It gets worse when she is your navigation/mission control throughout the whole game starting from the 3rd Full Moon Operation's.
- Speaking of her voice, her voice in the original game just sounds dull. Though it has gotten better ever since Wendee Lee voiced her.
- She didn't have that much of a good relationship with her parents prior to character development.
- She before she got character development rarely speaks up.
- Tends to point out the obvious.
- Her concept art resembles the Justice S. Link character Chihiro Fushimi.
- Fuuka's name is one of the few names in the series with an overline romanization (Fūka) spelled with the "extra u/o" romanization; most of these names often ignore such spelling in the SMT franchise.
- Despite the fact that she is not a playable character, Fuuka still has battle stats such as Defense and Attack.
- Fuuka is the only member of SEES who does not gain any HP or SP when leveling up. In the original Persona 3 and FES this can be explained as her Personas, Lucia and Juno, also do not have any of their stats raised when leveling up. However, in Portable, Lucia and Juno do gain points in their stats when leveling up, but Fuuka's HP and SP remains the same. Also, she's the only character whose HP and SP do not jump to 999 when reaching level 99.
- Fuuka's original English voice actor has never been confirmed by anyone yet, despite rumors of Paula Tiso or Mela Lee. No voice actress has stepped forward to claim the role.