Fred (sometimes known as Incidental 1 or The My Leg Guy) is a supporting character in SpongeBob SquarePants, he is one of the many fish in Bikini Bottom. He is known to yell out the words my leg in numerous episodes.
Why His Leg Deserves More Care
- He has spawned some of the greatest lines & catchphrases in the series, most notably "My leg!" and "Oh, brother, this guy STINKS!!"
- He is a very supportive friend of the main characters and occasionally helps them in situations (especially in the later seasons).
- He is a lot more sympathetic than the majority of the other incidentals.
- Like the other background characters, he has shown to help out SpongeBob on occasions, such as in SpongeBob's Last Stand, where he (along with the rest of the fish) help save Jellyfish Fields.
- Although it’s not seen often, he has a really good singing voice that makes it count where it's heard, especially in "My Leg Is In love".
- He's very nice to most of the cast and in the background, he can be seen being nice to others.
- He gets even more screentime in season 11 and onwards than in than in seasons 4-10 (although he does get a lot of screentime in seasons 1-3).
- Despite generally either playing a supporting role or minor role in the series, there are a few exceptions. The most prominent one was in My Leg!.
- He is one of the most memorable characters in the SpongeBob franchise.
- Despite being treated badly by most of the cast, there are some exceptions, with SpongeBob and other fish being close to him.
- He is one of the few characters that wasn’t flanderized during Seasons 6-8 (despite being very underused in these seasons)
- He's also one of the few characters from SpongeBob to have character development, where he went from a rude and sarcastic background character to a nicer & more easy-to-get-along-with-person.
- He gets a lot of abuse and harassment by the cast, making him a Butt-Monkey kind of character, also, in the later seasons, he sometimes closes his leg on the door, causing it to come off.
- Depending on your view, his yelling can get very annoying.
- Speaking of yelling, he was flanderized (although in a good way) during Season 11 and onwards, where his accident-prone tendencies are shown even more often than before and he can never stop yelling in some episodes.
- Like the other background characters/incidentals, he can be an unlikable and mean-spirited jerk from time to time. For example, he makes a sarcastic remark at Sandy in "Squirrel Jokes".
- He got little to no screentime during Seasons 4-10, despite speaking fairly often in these seasons.
- He was a bit mean-sprited in Christmas Who?