A foil is a character who serves as a contrast to another character, usually the protagonist, in order to highlight the differences between them.
- Toy Story 3: Woody and Lotso
- Both serve as leaders of their toy families.
- Woody prioritizes the well-being of his owner Andy and the other toys while Losto grows to hate his owner Daisy and children in general and treats other toys horribly.
- Marvel Comicsː Spider-Man and Venom
- Both are humans that have spider-themed powers, a secret identity, and worked at the same place
- Spider-Man is a hero who helps save his family, his friends, the people of his city as well as the entire world, while Venom is a ruthless killer who treats people horribly, and kills them.
The Overall Reason Why The Trope Isn't So Different
- It highlights what the two characters have in common and how they are different from each other.