Foghorn Leghorn is one of the major characters from Looney Tunes and the Merrie Melodies franchise, who made his debut on "Walky Talky Hawky" in 1946, created by Robert McKimson and Bob McKimson who got nominated for an Academy Award for best animated short film in 1947. He was voiced by Mel Blanc.
Why He, I Say, Why He Rocks, Rocks That Is!
- He is one of the most memorable and by far, one of the hammiest Looney Tunes characters ever created.
- His debut was so popular, that he got nominated for an Oscar! And Robert McKimson decided to make more cartoons with him in it.
- In fact; he was so popular, that he spawned several internet memes in later years!
- Everything he says and does is hilarious. For example. his wisecracks, clever metaphors, and one-liners (as a form of wit/sarcasm).
- Even when he makes intentionally lame jokes that happen occasionally, they're still done for comedic effect.
- Mel Blanc did a wonderful performance voicing him.
- He spouts out one of the most memorable and funniest lines from most of the Looney Tunes cartoons.
- He is usually misjudged, much to the point that Barnyard Dawg perceives him as pretty stupid because of his continual shortcomings and lack of common sense. But just like Sylvester, he is actually much smarter than he seems, even if Foghorn's plans always backfire due to short-sightedness and overconfidence.
- An example of this is how he usually fools that chicken hawk by tricking him in numerous ways.
- He is the perfect example of making an obnoxious character actually funny, likable, and well-written with a level of charm.
- From the number of setbacks and slapstick abuse he gets for his deceptive mischief, mean-spirited pranks, and his fair share of mistakes (ex. being hit for talking way too much) to having his ego being restrained for a certain situation that makes him rather accountable, good-hearted (in a way) and adaptable (especially when he has his moments of being genuinely polite and well-meaning because of this), to having his moments of being actually helpful towards others (i.e For example, Barnyard Dawg when some fox kept pestering the chickens in the episode "Fox-Terror").
- Despite his self-reliance and pedantic advice generally irritating others for how talkative and loud-mouthed Foghorn is, there were times when his words of advice can be rather useful on occasion.
- Speaking of which, when he used to be too loud-mouthed in his earlier years, his talkative trait gets better over the years.
- He broke the fourth wall so many times, he has done this even more than any other Looney Tunes character did.
"The Only I Say, The Only Bad Quality, Quality That Is!"
- While his traits as a self-reliant and overbearing chatterbox were intentionally done to make us laugh at his misery for being a loudmouth or a jerk, there are times in his earlier years when he was a tad bit grating. Good examples of these were when he was seen pushing around characters physically while he was trying to give them advice about something.
- Following from this logic, while mischievous, he is often sadistic, malicious, and cruel. This can make him come off as somewhat unlikable for the way he mistreats Barnyard Dawg by his repetitive yet iconic antics of Foghorn spanking him with an object while holding the dog's tail and eventually slapping him in the face when Barnyard Dawg can't catch up with Foghorn since that dog is tied to a leash, therefore making Foghorn's more inefficient and unlucky moments much more satisfying in practice.
- Cartoon characters
- Hilarious characters
- Characters that are often misjudged
- Internet memes
- 1940s characters
- 1950s characters
- 1960s characters
- 1970s characters
- 1980s characters
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- Warner Bros. characters
- Sadistic characters
- Beware the silly ones
- Large Hams
- Characters with blue and orange morality
- Morally grey characters
- Unintentionally sympathetic
- Accident-prone characters
- Characters that are incompetent
- Unlucky characters
- Lucky characters
- Decent characters
- Friendly characters
- Likable characters
- Sarcastic characters
- Popular characters
- Dumb characters
- Gullible characters
- Fan favorites
- TV characters
- Looney Tunes characters
- Important characters
- Cool characters