Fa Mulan (花木蘭) is the titular main protagonist of Disney's 1998 animated feature film of the same name, the 2004 direct-to-video sequel and the 2020 live-action remake. She is inspired by the legendary Hua Mulan from the Chinese poem, The Ballad of Hua Mulan. She is voiced by Minga-Na Wen in the animated film and will be portrayed by Liu Yifei in the live-action 2020 remake of it and her name will be changed to Hua Mulan.
Why She Bought Honor to Us All
- She is shown be to be selfless and willing to sacrifice herself for others as she joined the army to save her father.
- She has a likable and comical spirit guide dragon called Mushu.
- She, along with Merida and Anastasia, are the toughest of the Disney princess line-up.
- Unlike most Disney female roles who are usually damels-in-distresses and naive love interests, Mulan is strong and is willing to face and fight her own conflicts.
- Even when she’s in danger or distress, she’s still able to take on her own battles.
- She disguises herself as a male very well and clever.
- Her song, Reflection, shows that she’s questioning her role as a woman and a future wife.
- She is killed over thousands of Huns with one canon via avalanche in order to resuce Shang and what’s left of the Imperial Army, not only avenging Shang’s father but the rest of the warriors and villains that died in the hands of the Huns.
- She saved all of China, one of the biggest countries in the world, from Shan Yu and his Hun army.
- Her love-interest, Li Shang, begins treating her with the respect she deserves as she’s shown to be an amazing fighter.
- She has been given the label of the “Hero of China”.
- She is willing to make up plans as she goes, and they actually work for her which helps her save herself from Shan Yu’s wrath.
- She was able to overpower and fight off Shan Yu, a blood-thirsty Hun warrior who’s over twice her size.
- She's still likable in all other entries outside Mulan II (and the 2020 live-action remake), and she has massively redeemed herself in the Kingdom Hearts video games.
- Though she’s an official Disney Princess, she neither married nor was born into royalty, which makes her role as a princess very debatable.
- She unfortunately was flanderized in 2 cases:
- While not as bad as Mushu, she was flanderized in Mulan II, where she was an incredibly whiny, selfish, immature, misguided, impulsive, and irresponsible spoiled brat. Thankfully, in the Kingdom Hearts games, she has eventually massively improved her character to the point where she is back to normal.
- Her live action counterpart was horrendous since she can be a Mary Sue, and she was also Flanderized into a dull and overpowered Chosen One from birth. As a result, she ends up as woke pandering than an actual character.
- Aside from Cinderella Tremaine and Anastasia Romanov, she's the only Disney Princess to have a known last name.