Dr. Otto Gunther Octavius, later called Doctor Octopus, also known as Doc Ock, is the main antagonist of the 2004 superhero film Spider-Man 2, the second installment of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. He also serves as a major character in the 2021 Marvel Cinematic Universe film Spider-Man: No Way Home.
Why He R(ock)s
- He is one of the most iconic villains in superhero movie history, rivaling the popularity of Joker from The Dark Knight, Green Goblin from the first Spider-Man movie, Thanos from the MCU and many others.
- While he is a villain, his actions are extremely relatable, as he just wanted to try and rebuild his machine after it was destroyed the first time.
- He has tons of funny and memorable lines, including, but not limited to:
- "You're getting on my nerves"
- "You have a train to catch"
- "The power of the sun, in the palm of my hands"
- "I will not die a monster"
- "Hello Peter"
- "You think your fancy new suit's gonna save you?"
- "Looks like we got competition"
- Alfred Molina does an excellent job at playing him.
- Before he turned evil, he was a likable scientist, having a great relationship with Peter, Harry Osborn, and his wife Rosie.
- His origin of how he became a supervillain is extremely tragic, as his wife has died, his arms were permanently attached to his back and the inhibitor chip designed to protect his mind has gotten destroyed.
- His design is incredibly well done, ditching his green and yellow outfit from the comics in favor of a Matrix inspired outfit, while still retaining his signature tentacles and sinister look from the Marvel comics. Heck, in fact, many fans consider his design in the movies better than the one in the comics.
- While he isn't as strong as say, Green Goblin or Venom, he is still shown to be rather powerful, such as the scene where he killed all the doctors and nurses in the hospital room and when he was able to rip open a bank vault.
- While he is rather evil, he doesn't really kill people (apart from the doctors and nurses in the hospital scene, though that was mostly his tentacles), as he usually just holds them hostage, like what he did with MJ, Spidey and Aunt May and even threaten to throw Harry off his roof unless he gave him the tritium.
- His death and redemption was extremely tragic, as he sacrificed himself to destroy his rebuilt machine and save the city and all it's people.
- He is a playable character in the video game Spider-Manː Friend or Foe, and he is really fun to play as in that game.
- His reappearance in No Way Home was incredibly awesome, and a nice surprise when the trailer launched, as he hasn't been seen in the movies since 2004, as he died. His line "Hello Peter" has become one of Doc Ock's most iconic lines
- In No Way Home, he was later redeemed, as Tom Holland's Peter made a new inhibitor chip, and it surprisingly worked.
- He pretended to be evil during the final battle in No Way Home, but it turned out to be a trick just so he could get Electro's Arc Reactor, and give him the cure for him.
- His relationship with Tobey's Peter is really good, as once he took off his mask, Otto instantly recognized him and he expressed how glad he is to see his Peter again and commented that he had grown up since the time they had last met. When he asked how the latter had been, Peter responded that he was trying to do better, the same thing he said when they first met in Spider-Man 2.
- In one scene in Spider-Man 2, he steals money to build his machine again, but if he's a criminal now then he should have just saved time and stolen the parts themselves.
- In No Way Home, instead of helping Tom's Peter fight off the other 4 villains, he mostly ran away like a coward, though it could be understandable as he probably didn't want to get involved. To be fair, he was knocked out of the building by Electro and couldn't help because of it.
- Marvel characters
- Relatable characters
- Live-action characters
- Likable characters
- Movie characters
- 2000s characters
- 2020s characters
- Unintentionally sympathetic
- Former villains
- Laughably evil
- Characters with Tragic Backstories
- Comic Book characters
- Fan favorites