Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd is a main character in Fire Emblem: Three Houses and is a leader of the Blue Lions. Possessing the Crest of Blaiddyd, he is the crown prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus. He was born in 1162 as the eldest son of King Lambert; his mother, the queen consort, perished in a plague that was later cured by Conelia. He was friends with Edelgard during her exile and she taught him how to dance. Dimitri gave her a dagger as a token of affection before she returned to the Adrestian Empire in 1174. He was the only surviving royal of the Tragedy of Duscur in 1176 thus leading uncle Rufus of Itha ruled as regent in Dimitri's steed. Dimitri saved and befriended Dedue who became his vassal.
Why He Rocks
- Dimitri is described as a sincere young man who would seem like the embodiment of chivalry yet contains a shade of darkness which lies his cheerful demeanor.
- He may be royal, but he would rather want his allies to be frank.
- He’s agile and became a capable dancer under Edelgard’s tutelage. Even though he’s unable to control his prodigious strength.
- His backstory is really tragic because he was the only surviving royal of the Tragedy of Duscur which lead him to suffer from ageusia and survivor’s guilt.
- Has a close relationship to Dedue and does admit that being able to save someone gave him a reason to live. Also, as you may have guess in his backstory, he did save Dedue during the Tragedy of Duscur.
- His stance on the Crest System is rather mixed, but he does have a legit position as to why. He things that the system can be cruel for those like Miklan where it overlooks his own merits in favor of those with Crests, he maintains the stance that discarding such beliefs would cause greater problems. He overall believes that the two sides must reach an understanding with one another.
- If he is the player’s chosen house leader, his obsession with appeasing the dead fades after Rodrigue sacrifices himself to thwart Fleche's assassination attempt. This event restores Dimitri's sanity and he resolves to fight for his beliefs together with his allies.
- Even though Dimitri loses the semblance of happiness and composure he had as a student, he still shows empathy to those orphaned by war.
- He would often seen killers as monsters which is understandable. So basically, he states “Honor gained by killing is worthless. When killers are labeled Heroes...that is the most despicable 'honor' of all”.
- In the Azure Moon route, he did try to parley with Edelgard to learn her motivations for stating the war which lead to Edelgard to accept on a whim and remembers her childhood in Faerghus after Dimitri returns her dagger, but the two are unable to compromise their world views. He even tried to reconcile with her before Edelgard throws her dagger in his shoulder.
- In the end of his route, he spent his life reforming the continent; particularly alleviating poverty, improving foreign relations, and introducing a participatory form of government. With the assistance of Byleth, the new archbishop of the Church of Seiros, Dimitri ushers Fódlan into a new golden age.
- Depending on the route you take, his death is very affective as prominently noted in the routs where the player does not instruct him. Despite this, he will die peacefully in Crimson Flower if Dedue is defeated before transforming into a demonic beast.
- It is stated in his ending that he was known for listening intently to voices for all. So you could say that he’s all ears.
- KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.
- Because of what he has gone through (this includes his time skip) like finding out that the Flame Emperor is actually Edelgard or what not, you would feel rather bad for him.
- Dimitri has a strange sense of humor, which is evident by his fondness for Alois's corny jokes.
- He did lost his semblance of happiness and composure he had as a student, becoming brooding, cynical, and ruthless. But it’s affective as you would feel bad for him.
- When reunited with his former classmates, he is brusque and coldly dismisses them as mere tools to exact his revenge.
- His five years of isolation exacerbated his survivor’s guilt.
- Due to House Riegan being a cadet branch of the Blaiddyd royal family, Dimitri is distantly related to Claude.
- Dimitri shares the alias "Tempest King" with Joshua from The Sacred Stones.
- Dimitri is the only house leader to have two playable retainers — Dedue, and Gilbert after the timeskip.
- Dimitri stands at 180cm (approximately 5’11”), growing to 188cm (6’2”) after the timeskip.
- As a Lord in the Academy phase, Dimitri's eyes on his sprite will change color to match his affiliation — blue as a player unit, red as an enemy, and yellow as a third army enemy. This quirk is not present for Edelgard or Claude and stops for Dimitri after the timeskip.
- Dimitri uses blue colors for his classes.
- In Chapter 17 of the Crimson Flower route, Dimitri's sprite depicts him with an eyepatch even though he does not lose his right eye.
- Ironically, an unused sprite exists in the game's code that depicts Dimitri as a Great Lord but without his eyepatch.
- Dimitri has the most portraits in the game. In Azure Moon, Verdant Wind, and Silver Snow, Dimitri has bags under his eyes that disappear after Chapter 17 of the Azure Moon route as well as a childhood portrait during a flashback in Chapter 21. However, in the Crimson Flower route, he still has his right eye.
- Part of the reason for that, according to a Nintendo DREAM article, was that Dimitri wasn't initially going to have an eyepatch after the timeskip, and the decision to give him one was taken later in development. Similarly, it was decided he wouldn't get one during Edelgard's route as a means to communicate he went through different experiences compared to non-Crimson Flower routes.
- Dimitri has the highest amount of critical hit quotes in the series at 16. Four during the Academy Phase, four when facing a named enemy, four between Chapters 13 and 17, and four from Chapter 18 onwards.
- In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Byleth's Dimitri costume is the only one where the dagger is recolored. The color scheme matches the dagger Dimitri gave to Edelgard.
- Won 1st place in a survey by Nintendo DREAM Magazine and Famistu Magazine.
- is a male given name. It is the French, Italian, Dutch, Finnish, and Church Slavic variant of the Greek name Demetrios ("devoted to Demeter", the goddess of fertility, agriculture, and sacred law). Alexandre is the French, Portuguese, Catalan, and Galician form of Alexander, meaning "defender of the people" in Greek. Blaiddyd is the moniker of a legendary Brittonic king who encouraged the practice of necromancy, the name means "Wolf-lord" in Welsh.