Dora Winifred "D.W." Read is a major character from the PBS Kids TV Series Arthur. She is a preschooler who is Arthur's younger sister and Kate's older sister. She got character growth and became a good character from Season 16 to 25 (the final season of the series).
Why She's Not So Bratty Anymore
- She has gotten some good character development, enough to make her a good character. This can be called Reverse Flanderization.
- She is still admittedly cute, and we see that more now that she’s throwing less fits. Also, she's not a Mary Sue, unlike the less bratty version of Caillou.
- Speaking of which, she no longer has the tendency to be overly dramatic and bossy, becoming nicer.
- She also no longer has the tendency to throw fits when things don’t get her way, showing how more mature she has become.
- Her love for her brother deep down is more shown now, and she has grown out of annoying, complaining, and getting him into trouble.
- Her hatred for her full name is rarely shown now, which is good, since most people call her D.W. anyways, which she prefers to be called.
- She’s grown to not believe everything on TV and is less gullible.
- Her voice has gotten better and is more peaceful now (except when she cries but is only rarely now).
- She tends to follow orders more often now, especially reasonable orders from Arthur.
- Even if she still does something bad sometimes, she is now mostly getting punished during those times, instead of rarely.
- She also has quite a big imagination.
- Her fondness for unicorns is still kind of adorable.
- She is shown to be quite intelligent for her age and is now more shown.
- She does get moments where her growth really shines through, such as when she learned to not blame others from getting the part, she wanted in school plays.
- She didn't have a good start during the first 15 seasons. The first 15 seasons where a character is bad? Well, that’s a record, but it’s thankful that her character growth eventually helped her out.
- Sometimes she can:
- Bug Arthur sometimes.
- Be bossy and overly dramatic sometimes.
- Her hatred for her name is still shown, but rarely now. It still can’t excuse the fact that hating your own name is something else.
- Sometimes, her gullible traits and believing stuff on TV are still shown.
- Her voice is still grating sometimes, especially when she cries.
- Throws fits sometimes.
- Gets away with her bad actions, but it’s very rare now.
- Disobeys orders sometimes.
- There are still some episodes where she’s not at her best (although, this happens less often than in the first 15 seasons).
- Like her family (and even other aardvark characters like Amanda Hulser), she still barely resembles an aardvark.
- D.W. is based on Kim Brown, the sister of Marc Brown, who is the author of the Arthur books and the co-developer of the cartoon.
- According to the episode "D.W. All Wet", D.W. is cephalophobic, as she refuses to swim in a lake because she thinks there may be octopuses in it.
- D.W.'s birthday is either March 1, 1991 or March 1, 1992.
- Despite considered one of the worst characters in the show, she was the star of many memes like "Tired D.W." (a photoshop of a frame in Francine Frensky, Olympic Rider), "Sign Can't Stop Me Because I Can't Read" (D.W.'s Name Game) and Yo Mama! (Which can be heard in the Season 6 end credits)