Carlton "Carl" Ulysses Wheezer is a bespectacled, dim-witted boy and one of the main characters of the Jimmy Neutron franchise. He is also the deuteragonist of its prequel movie Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
He is Jimmy's neurotic, timid, shy, nervous, asthmatic, llama-loving best friend. Carl and his parents have numerous allergies, at times even to things that are incapable of triggering allergic reactions. He passionately loves llamas, and his passion for them is often used as a running gag throughout the series. He is also a bit cowardly and developed an unhealthy crush on Jimmy's mom, as shown throughout a multitude of episodes. His crush on Judy becomes so extreme that he is shown an interest in exterminating Judy's husband and Jimmy's dad, Hugh Neutron.
Why He's Going To Finish That CROISSANT
- He’s just as likable and unforgettable as his best friend, Sheen, who is also a lovable comic-relief character whose comedic traits were better ventured into the TV spin-off.
- Despite his doubts and insecurities, he tries to look on the bright side of problems at times, like comforting Jimmy in those situations for example. Showing his kindhearted and optimistic side.
- Because of having moments of being sympathetic, some viewers can find something to relate to Carl. Despite some of those moments originally being played for laughs or whatnot (e.g. his ridiculous amount of allergies being something allergic people can easily relate to).
- He is extremely hilarious and also has many hilarious moments, like Carl simply fawning over Judy by breaking through a glass window with a break to sing a song about asking her for cookies as a sign of getting her attention, and even in the 2001 film where his first introduction had him accidentally spraying himself in the eyes with his own inhaler. This is mostly because of moments of his goofiness, but it can also be the result of his sheer eccentricities as well.
- Also, his dimwittedness is often fun to watch.
- He has plenty of funny and memorable phrases and lines of dialogue, such as “Ow, my scapula!”, “For once in probably the time of my life, I'm a Weiner! I mean winner! See how new it is?”, or “STOP IT, STOP IT! CAN'T YOU SEE YOUR CONSTANT FIGHTING IS TEARING US ALL APART?!”.
- He is very loyal and caring to his friends and family, much like Jimmy and Sheen, and is always there for them. Regardless of anything that hampered his efforts or not.
- With this in mind, despite his massive insecurities and goofiness, he can be very competent, alert, and helpful towards his friends when push comes to shove or just in general, especially when he is always willing to help out Jimmy despite knowing his inventions could be dangerous to him, who constantly ends up as a guinea pig for Jimmy's experiments because of this.
- He is a nice and innocently cute child, and one of the purest characters (well, at least most of the time anyway) who is also friendly towards anyone.
- His love for llamas is very charming and iconic.
- Robert Paulsen does a brilliant job of voicing him in an unforgettable way. Much to the point that the "moan" he made in the 2001 film, became an absolute meme.
- He has a good character design.
- Just like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo, his cowardly demeanor can really get a great number of laughs out of the viewers, which is one of the most memorable things about the Jimmy Neutron franchise.
- Because of this, he sometimes steals the show with his comical behavior, his quick quips and conversations that contribute to the funniest parts in the series where his exaggerated mannerisms generally enhance the comedy, or his failed attempts at fawning over Judy Neutron (Jimmy's mom) to be his love interest, which comes off as insanely hilarious.
- "Are you gonna finish that croissant?"
- His hilarious and bizarrely extreme crush on Mrs. Judy can get marginally creepy, especially this scene. He can be pretty rude and clingy in his sheer jealousy over Hugh (Jimmy's dad) of all people. That kinda makes him look like a goofy degenerate despite being a kid.
- With that said, some of his eccentricities and weirdness can be overly strange, one of his dreams about being a "genius" compared to Jimmy being the supposed "doofus" for whatever reason is a prime example of this.
- He was very unlikable and completely out-of-character in one episode “Carl Wheezer, Boy Genius”, where he acted like a stuck-up, egotistical know-it-all since he wanted to be like Jimmy to impress his new love interest by lying the whole time about being a genius, just to seem smarter and superior by having Jimmy act like an idiot and a slave to him, where he never apologized to Jimmy thoroughly for his mean-spirited behavior (especially when every time Jimmy saves Carl from the accidents he causes, Carl never thanked Jimmy whatsoever and still insulted him), much like Patrick in "I'm With Stupid" with being a disapproving jerk who got carried away with belittling his friend that was trying to help him achieve his goal. This episode nearly gave Carl character derailment, but thankfully he was rather redeemable & forgivable as the series had progressed.
- With this in mind, he can sometimes go along with Sheen's dumb-minded antics by being insensitive.
- Like Pinky from Pinky & The Brain: He can do some gross, repulsive stuff such as belching/etc when it pertains to gross-out humor with being disgusting.
- While his accident-prone status is comedic, it can get slightly stale at times.
- In "Who's My Mommy?" Carl gets attacked by an alien, much like the face hugger from the alien movies and gets "impregnated" by it as a result, with his bottom all swollen instead of his stomach, Jimmy is visibly terrified, but everyone else is delighted, think about, this is a kid who's not only a boy, but also got "pregnant", which makes the episode too adult-like for kids.
- He was by far, the most memeable character in the show alongside other characters such as Hugh Neutron or Jimmy himself. Especially since he and Hugh are considered to be fan favorites.