"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Adult oriented subjects
Leopold "Butters" Stotch" is one of the main characters of the adult animated series South Park. He is voiced by Matt Stone.
Why He Can Turn a Frown Into Smile For Free
- He's a kind-hearted, imaginative, naive, optimistic, and soft-spoken kid who always sees the positive look on the outside.
- His positive and innocent nature, unlike the other boys, makes him likable.
- His Butt-Monkey status that characterizes his bad luck and the abuse he receives from his friends and family makes him easy to sympathize with. It can lead to some funny moments sometimes.
- His catchphrases: Hey, fellas!, Oh hamburgers!, Oh geez!.
- He is extremely loyal to the boys, even if they don't give him that much respect.
- In fact, he's the only nice person without a single mean bone in his body on the show.
- His costume "Professor Chaos" is pretty funny and entertaining.
- Despite appearing as a naive and gullible person most of the time, he has performed pretty awesome feats, such as becoming a full-on pimp in "Butters' Bottom Bitch", becoming a Mexican leader in "The Last of the Meheecans", sinking an entire ocean boat with a single swing of a golf ball in "Going Native", and burning the entire school, as mentioned in "Gluten Free Ebola" and even ran off in a laughing fit, flipping off everyone he saw.
- He serves as the show's moral compass and almost always delivers the episodes' Aesop several times.
- He may be an eccentric fellow, but he is not afraid to unleash his dark side if pushed around. Examples of how he has shown to stand up for himself at certain times. Examples include standing up to his parents on occasion, flatulating on Eric Cartman and flipping him off telling him "Fuck you Eric!" in "Christian Rock Hard", and beating the crap out of Dr. Oz in "Butterballs".
- Just like most of the other characters, his design is cute. In fact, he might be the cutest character on the whole show.
- Just like Kyle and Kenny, Matt Stone does an amazing job voicing him.
- He was very unlikable in season 20.
- His abuse can go too far and it makes you sympathize with him. Where he is very neurotic and insecure because of this.
- He's often too naive to see what's actually happening to him.
- He is very idealistic. He constantly thinks the world is naturally unaffected without a sign of corruption, oblivious to the hapless and ruthless lifestyle he's residing in.
- He is incredibly naive and easy to manipulate, and since he has the intelligence of a brick, he'll usually go along with whatever he's brought into.
- He frequently (and blindly) goes along with Cartman's schemes without ever stopping to question Cartman's integrity.
- He often never lets himself stop getting exploited by the boys and is usually too timid to stand up for himself most of the time.
- He can be mean towards Eric at times. Admittedly however, it's hard to feel much sympathy for Eric since Eric used to treat him like shit a lot of the time. Thankfully, his abuse towards Butters has dialed down a lot in more recent seasons.
- Content Warning
- Articles marked as NSFW
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- 2020s characters
- South Park characters
- Comedy Central characters
- TV characters
- Fan favorites
- Funny characters
- Gullible characters
- Dumb characters
- Friendly characters
- Innocent characters
- Quirky characters
- Cute characters
- Neurotic characters
- Characters with Insecurity
- Beware the nice ones
- Optimistic characters
- Relatable characters