Bertram Winkle is a major character in Jessie and made a guest appearance in BUNK'D. He is the Ross family's lazy, sarcastic butler, who seems to care very little for the kids and calls them "The Nanny Killers." He is disinclined to work and tends to be quite grumpy, aloof, slothful, and sarcastic. He is shown actually doing work, however, only when the Ross parents are visiting.
Why He Is Lazy (Of The Good Kind)
- Much like Squidward Tentacles from SpongeBob SquarePants and Garfield: His deadpan sarcasm, brutal honesty & vanity can range from comical to flat-out hilarious. Especially how his witty comebacks can be pretty funny.
- He is one of the most realistic, sympathetic, and relatable characters in the show.
- Where everyone in the series has their funny moments, Bertram often has many funny moments that provide comic relief because of his entertainingly sarcastic traits and he is often considered to be the absolute funniest character because of this.
- Kevin Chamberlin did a brilliant job portraying him, especially when he has shown to have a great Opera singing voice.
- The way he laughs and cries is extremely amusing.
- He makes a very great comic-relief butler and is one of the most memorable, especially when it comes to Disney sitcoms.
- He is one of the best things about Jessie, he is what made the Jessie series well-remembered by many people, the series wouldn’t be nearly as memorable or as funny without him!
- While he does serve as the butt of the jokes in the series, one who nobody seems to take him seriously, there are some episodes when he does end up getting even with the Ross kids.
- He may be lazy and cynical quite often, but he begrudgingly helps Jessie navigate her job as nanny to the four Ross children, and he also he has a good heart since there are moments when he sees the good in Jessie.
- Even though he's aloof and doesn't show that he cares for the kids, there are times he rightfully calls out the kids for being rude and disrespectful, or when he steps up and becomes the adult.
- This whole scene. Ranging from the first half to the more lighthearted side of the video.
- Despite his immensely sarcastic attitude, he has shown to have great chemistry/bonding between Jessie and the Ross kids.
- To quote Kevin Chamberlin in his interview as Bertram, he says that Bertram is not a fan of kids and secretly loves them with a notation of this that Bertram is "a teddy bear at heart". This shows as he always cleans up their rooms and still, makes sure they're okay despite expressing how exhausted and indifferent he is.
- In the episode "The Jessienator Grudgement Day", he unexpectedly gets a formerly villainous role as Mainframe Bertram, who became evil for some time because his motives were the kids tormenting and teasing him in the past making him take over the world himself out of revenge, and his evil-personified future self is very entertaining and funny to watch.
- He can be just as immature as the kids.
- He is often seen whining, complaining, and showing indifference.
- As a Butt-Monkey, he tends to take the most verbal and/or physical abuse from other characters. Especially where he along with Jessie, can be disrespected at times since the Ross family underappreciates him.
- He hardly does his job, he could've been fired a long time ago and knows it, but Christina found out a long time ago but never fired him because the kids are fond of him and she doesn't want to upset them by firing him, and she's not upset when she tells him that.
- He loves opera and he can sure belt out a tune as seen in a Christmas episode.
- He really doesn't like doing housework. Turns out Christina (Mrs. Ross) knew this all along. She and the kids happen to find his laziness entertaining.
- His favorite food is cheese, much to the point where he is a specialist in identifying rare brands of cheese.
- Disney characters
- 2010s characters
- Live-action characters
- American characters
- TV characters
- Morally grey characters
- Former villains
- Fan favorites
- Funny characters
- Hilarious characters
- Comic relief
- Sarcastic characters
- Neurotic characters
- Intelligent characters
- Immature characters
- Unlucky characters
- Relatable characters
- Characters that are super lazy
- Cute characters
- Likable characters
- Disney Channel characters
- Jessie characters
- Internet memes