"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Heavy mature topics
Bertholdt: "Reiner, are we doing it!? Right here, right now!?"
Reiner: Yes, right here, right now, we'll settle this once and for all!
Bertholdt Hoover (also known as Bertolt Hoover in the manga) was the secondary antagonist of Attack On Titan, he was also known for being the Colossus Titan, who is the mascot of the Attack on Titan series. His purpose in the anime was to obtain the Founding Titan, a Titan with the ability to control every single Titan on Earth, and bring it to the Marley Government.
Why He Rocks
- His titan form is very well designed, and very memorable to the point where it became the face of Attack on Titan.
- He, Reiner Braun, Annie Leonhart, and Marcel Galliard were very close as they had been friends since they were very young.
- He is very good at aiming with rifles, which was the reason why he was selected as a Warrior and a candidate that will inherit the powers of one of the Nine Titans.
- His friends on Paradis thought that his unusual sleeping positions can predict the weather, and made a game about it.
- His Titan form also has an ability where it can create large amounts of steam, which can burn enemies that try to attack him, though doing so causes the muscle mass on the Colossal Titan to decrease.
- He and Reiner are entertaining antagonists in the second and third seasons.
- His voice actors for both dubs do very good jobs at voicing him.
- He is also good at sword fighting as he took on Mikasa in the Return to Shiganshina arc.
- The beginning of the Marley arc makes us sympathize for Bertholdt, Reiner and Annie as in the flashbacks they were brainwashed by the Marley government as kids as they were told many lies about the people of Paradis about them being the enemy, the devil. They later realize that they aren't evil and felt great remorse.
- In an interview with Isayama Hajime, the reason Bertholdt joined the Marleyean Army because his father had cancer, and without being an "honorable Marleyean", he couldn't get the the proper medical attention for his father. Bertholdt later died and so did his father. This reason makes us sympathize for Bertholdt even more.
- It also shows that he has honor. Even though the Survey Corps were his enemies, Bertholdt doesn't see his former friends as devils, and didn't want to kill them, but still had to do his job as a Marleyean soldier.
- Unlike Reiner and Annie, he tried his best not to give away information that he was the Collosal Titan that destroyed the walls of Shiganshina.
- He was responsible for the deaths of many people that resided in the Shiganshina District, including Eren Yeager's mom.
- He, along with his other friends, Reiner and Annie, were also responsible for the death of Marco Bodt, someone who was very close to Jean Kirschtein.
- He was very underutilized since he was a supporting character in the first season. Fortunately, his characterization has improved in season 2 and 3 and in the beginning of the Marley arc in the manga.
- The posters depict him as the main villain, but in reality, the real main antagonist is Eren Yeager.