Bartholomew "Bart" JoJo Simpson, is the deuteragonist of The Simpsons. He is the mischievous, rebellious, misunderstood and "potentially dangerous" eldest child of Homer and Marge Simpson, and the older brother of Lisa and Maggie.
Why He Is America's Bad Boy
- Bart is one of the most iconic kid characters in adult animation, especially being popular in the early 1990s.
- Even at a young age, Bart has accomplished many feats. He has won an award for his Angry Dad web series, he has discovered a new comet which was named after himself, and he also has performed in a successful band with Milhouse Van Houten, Nelson Muntz and Ralph Wiggum.
- He is the most misunderstood of the family (After Maggie, who currently can only speak a few words), constantly frustrated by the narrow-minded people of Springfield, who judge him merely by his thoughts and actions.
- Despite his behavior, Bart is also extremely good at science, art and even sports like skateboarding.
- His actions and speech frequently show considerable mental agility, street-smarts, and understanding.
- His antics are funny at times.
- Although he got flanderized during seasons 16-30, he, along with his mom Marge, were never flanderized during the show's decline throughout seasons 11-15 and in season 31, and still kept their original personas during those seasons.
- Although he gets into trouble and is sometimes shallow and selfish, Bart also exhibits many qualities of high integrity.
- He is a great friend to Milhouse Van Houten, Nelson Muntz and Ralph Wiggum, despite treating the latter more like an weird acquaintance than a friend. He even shows friendship with Seymour Skinner and Edna Krabappel, despite the fact he often terrorizes them, helping them with their love life, along with being the only one in the entire town of Springfield to support them and stand by their side when an angry mob was against them.
- He is an amazing brother to Lisa. While he loves teasing her, Bart has shown himself willing to put himself through labor, swallow his pride, and even purchase things for her, as when trying to make her feel better, he offered to make her bed, start a foundation for the animals she saved, and even spend money on a $500 record instead of a long-desired novelty. Bart has even sacrificed a dream job (Hall Monitor) and good grades to protect her from a damaging punishment caused by her own actions and helped her restore her reputation among the other children when she betrayed them by way of posing as a college student.
- For fans, he is considered the true main protagonist of the series since the beginning, especially in the following seasons.
- A memorable music video titled Do the Bartman was why we love Bart.
- As shown in Barthood, he has a reason to be bad, due to his treatment by Homer.
- Bart often seems to have trouble understanding even the simplest concepts, such as the word "irony," what the equator is and that the logo on his globe ("Rand McNally") is not actually a country. It was also once implied that his mischievous behavior may have been a result of Marge accidentally ingesting a droplet of champagne while pregnant with him.
- Like the other children, he treats Ralph more like a weird acquaintance than a friend, even though Bart treats him better compared to the other kids.
- His antics can get mean-spirited and over the top at times.
- He had some early flanderizations during seasons 11-15 such as in "Brother's Little Helper" he flooded the gym with one of the fire truck's fire hoses and was forced by Principal Skinner to take a drug called Focusyn or he would be expelled. In "The Parent Rap" he along with Milhouse steal Chief Wiggum's car and got arrested. In "I Am Furious (Yellow) he made a mean spirited comic called Angry Dad and sent copies of it to the point where Homer became a laughing stock. In "Bart vs. Lisa vs. The Third Grade" he teases Lisa and gets into a fight with her after they get sent into third grade. In "The Wandering Juvie" he hosted a fake wedding where he marries "Lotta Cooties" and planned to take every unused gift which gave him a six month sentence in juvenile detention. Finally in "Bart-Mangled Banner" he tried to avoid a flu shot. Thankfully, Barney disguised himself as Dr. Hibbert. He later taunted at a donkey with a carrot during the national anthem and then he put the carrot in his shorts which caused the donkey the carrot, including his own shorts. This caused the crowd to boo at him. The reason was because he was deaf.
- He was flanderized completely in seasons 16-30 where became a dumb sociopath, but he, along with Homer, can still be likable and memorable at times. Thankfully though, he did recover from his flanderization.
- Bart is loosely based on Matt Groening and his older brother, Mark Groening.
- He also has been nicknamed "Cosmo", after discovering a comet in "Bart's Comet". Bart has also been on the cover on numerous comics, such as "Critical Hit", "Simpsons Treasure Trove #11" and "Winter Wingding". Bart also has a 100-issue comic series entitled the "Simpson Comics Presents; Bart Simpson".
- 20th Century Fox characters
- Cartoon characters
- Characters that are often misjudged
- 1980s characters
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- Hollywood Walk of Fame characters
- Controversial characters
- American characters
- Characters that have traveled through time
- Crossover characters
- TV characters
- Disney characters
- Fan favorites
- Likable characters
- Dumb characters
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade characters
- Sarcastic characters
- 20th century characters
- Titular characters
- Chaotic Good characters
- Chaotic Neutral characters
- Important characters
- Good characters who are bad role models
- The Simpsons characters