"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: She comes from Neon Genesis Evangelion. A controversial anime created in 1995.
Asuka Langley Soryu (惣流・アスカ・ラングレー Sōryū Asuka Rangurē) is a fictional character of the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise. She is a very cute and tomboyish American-Japanese-German teenage girl, who was born in the United States. Within the series, she is designated as the Second Child and the pilot of the Evangelion Unit 02. Her surname is romanized as Soryu in the English manga and Sohryu in the English version of the TV series, the English version of the film, and on Gainax's website. Asuka is voiced by Yūko Miyamura in Japanese in all animated appearances and merchandise; Asuka is voiced by Tiffany Grant in English. In the Rebuild of Evangelion films, her Japanese surname is changed to Shikinami (式波). As her popularity increased, Asuka became the official mascot of the anime studio, Gainax.
Why She's So Cute
- She is the most popular character in the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise, as well as Gainax's flagship character.
- She is a very proud individual, especially in her piloting, and comes across to others as proud and strong, with a very high opinion of both her appearance (particularly her recently "busty" body) and her skill as an Eva pilot.
- This American teenage girl became famous among every all-American adult male.
- She became one of biggest all-American icons.
- To steal the show, she wears her most iconic outfit, to increase her cuteness, and make herself an all-American tomboy.
- Including a blue dress, white short-sleeved t-shirt, white knee-high tight stockings with a red line and a pair of very shiny black Mary Jane shoes. Asuka's hair is loose with the flanks held in twin tails with her Interface Headset. To complete the adorable ensemble, a red bow on her collar provides a centerpiece as well as a bit of contrast against her iconic outfit.
- Like most of the tomboys, she really loves boyish hobbies, such as fighting, sports and playing video games.
- Her popularity in the United States was extremely spectacular.
- Her theme music that accompanies her first appearance, Asuka Strikes! was pure American.
- She's as cute as a kitten and is also one of the most skilled EVA pilots upon her introduction, garnering her lots of admiration in-universe on both counts.
- Even when her competence fades as the story progresses, only to rebound spectacularly and tragically in End of Evangelion.
- Her only best friend was a pigtailed tomboy, Hikari Horaki.
- In spite of her narcissism, all Asuka really wants is admiration for her skills as a pilot, and validation as a woman.
- Beneath the tough bratty facade, she's lonely, heartbroken, wounded, and desperately searching for her place in such a crazy world.
- Just like Misato, Asuka is a competent character who nonetheless provides quite a bit of levity due to her personality (in her case, over-the-top histrionics and Large Ham tendencies), to the point that the mood of the series becomes quite a bit sillier upon her introduction.
- She even has a wacky, lighthearted leitmotif like Misato does.
- She treats her co-pilots, Shinji Ikari and Rei Ayanami, like absolute crap at times; especially Shinji since they live together under one roof.
- What makes matters worse is that her Rebuild version (in 3.33 and 3.0+1.0) shares one of the things in common with Misato and the rest of WILLE: they are highly mean-spirited towards Shinji for accidentally starting the Third Impact while he tries to save Ayanami and defeat the 10th Angel.
- She can be quite obnoxious, conceited, and abrasive with a side of a short temper.
- She's selfish, impulsive, self-centered, rude, and borderline misanthropic, eventually leading to pure madness down the road.
- She is aggressive and can be very opinionated.
- However, this personality is a front that protects a very vulnerable and insecure girl, a side which the viewer sees in her dreams or thoughts.
- She even made Shinji suffering a mental breakdown which leads him to choke her.
- As her popularity increased, Asuka became the official mascot of the anime studio behind Evangelion, Gainax.
- In the Rebuild of Evangelion films, her Japanese surname is changed to Shikinami (式波).
- Asuka makes a cameo appearance alongside Kaworu, Rei and Shinji in the fifth chapter of Marvel's Edge of Spider-Verse storyline, as classmates of Peni Parker, hinting that Evangelion shares place in that storyline.
- Content Warning
- American characters
- Japanese characters
- Anime characters
- Cute characters
- Lonely characters
- 1990s characters
- 2000s characters
- 2010s characters
- Fan favorites
- German characters
- Intelligent characters
- Characters with Insecurity
- Wrathful characters
- Unintentionally sympathetic
- Sarcastic characters