Ashley J. Williams is the main protagonist of the horror film franchise Evil Dead. He was played by Bruce Campbell.
Why He’s Groovy
- Bruce Campbell did a great job playing Ash and got to be in pretty much every film directed by his best friend and collaborator Sam Raimi.
- Ash is very quotable with lines such as “Groovy”, “Hail to the king, baby”, “This… is my Boomstick!”, “Shop smart, Shop S-Mart”, “Good, bad, I’m the guy with the gun” and “Gimme some sugar, baby”.
- Ash is a great balance between a horror film protagonist and a comedy film protagonist. The first film was pure horror, the second was a little more comedic and the third was more of a dark fantasy medieval comedy.
- Ash likes hunting down demons with his chainsaw for a hand after he cut off his possessed hand. He can replace his chainsaw with a metal gauntlet.
- Ash is an influential horror film protagonist who inspired characters such as Doomguy and Hoss Delgado from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.
- He had his own television series on Starz called Ash vs. Evil Dead with Campbell returning for the role. It went on for three seasons. He teams up with people as he fights off against Deadites at Michigan.
- The original ending for Army of Darkness is quite dark. Ash decides to drink six drops of a potion so he would wake up in the future. Since he was distracted, he drank seven drops and woke up in a post-apocalyptic London. Luckily, Universal intervened and Ash got a much happier ending.
- He forgot the last word of the phrase “Klaatu barada nikto”, which is why the Necronomicon made things worse in Army of Darkness.
- In the first season of Ash vs. Evil Dead, the events of Army of Darkness weren’t mentioned due to rights issues. The issues cleared up by the second season.
- Bruce Campbell returned to voice Ash in various Evil Dead video games and Dead by Daylight.
- Ash was considered to be a guest character for Mortal Kombat 11 but was scrapped in favor of RoboCop and Rambo due to licensing issues.